Check any problems with updates before Installing them - where?

Hi,

I have heard that as Arch is rolling and very cutting edge, it is best to read up on the latest updates to see if they will cause you any problems before you pacman -Syu

My question is - where do you check any information on updates? I guess it is somewhere on the archlinux website, but where?

Thanks

It is right on the front page under latest news.

That being said, I have never once read that prior to updating. As you can see, it isn’t common for there to be issues. I think most people only read the news occasionally or when an update fails.

Alternatively, many of the AUR helpers integrate the news.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

I have seen some of the articles on the front page from time to time, but didn’t realise that this was the same place that I had heard that I should check for update problems.

I assumed that there couldn’t be too many problems, there is just too much interest in Arch these days to have continual issues.

1 Like

It’s a good idea to use Timeshift, it lets you sleep more peacefully.

4 Likes

Yeh, unsure about that, given that Windows has 90% of the desktop OS market, but is a steaming pile… :poop:
Anyhow, the Arch news tends to be soporific, so I like to live dangerously, and update a couple of times per day from Testing. :laughing:

1 Like

I think the last time there was something requiring manual intervention was last October.

1 Like

You can usually get a feel for what might have minor issues and what might cause your system to be unbootable or unusable.

1. I never run an update if I don’t have at least some time to kill to troubleshoot anything that might come up.
  2. If there’s a critical package update waiting like a gnome-shell update, or new linux kernel, new nvidia drivers, systemd, Xorg/wayland update, I usually hold off on hitting that button and do a quick check of these forums/reddit (both in the /r/endeavouros area and /r/archlinux), usually if there’s something buggy with those, there’s people already chatting about it.
  3. I run btrfs with timeshift so the pacman hook auto-snapshots my system before each update. It takes some of the bite out of it knowing that, generally, if something gets screwed up you can reload the snapshot back to the last known-good config until you have time to work through the issue.

Just be smart about it, have some common sense and it’s not so scary.

EDIT: Man, blanked on Timeshift’s name and went back to my old OS X days…

3 Likes

It has been so long since it happened - but I seem to recall the eos-notifier, unless configured NOT to do so, will inform you of the existence of Arch news is there is anything actually ‘new’. A real time saver when relevant! OF course, any number of the strategies discussed here also work.

1 Like

Thanks @anon92247698

btrfs is my file system of choice - with automatic snapshots before all updates, timeshift is installed to auto-delete old copies and not get too carried away with loads of snapshots.

Been burnt too many times before, though most of which were my own fault - you gotta play with things before you know how to fix them :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I wasn’t thinking about Windows, I abandoned that some years ago. And every time I use my works computer, I remember why :smiley:

2 Likes

I am a bit of a woose and run the LTS kernel. My laptop that I have Endeavour on is so old that the LTS kernel is overkill cutting edge!

Yep, same here. On my main computer, I run it so It doesn’t go down.

On this Laptop with Endeavour, I have it because I want to use it as my ‘play’ computer. One that I can experiment and try things out - that always leads to problems for me, so TimeShift is my friend as are auto-snapshots.

Thanks for your suggestions. :+1:

Good to know!