Can't seem to get hibernation to work properly

I just setup btrfs with encryption and snapshots and i added suspend and hibernation just as suggested to etc/default/grub and updated grub. It’s working .

Edit: Not saying it was easy.

2 Likes

I have no idea what on btrfs it is harder to set this up even?

Just saying i had to mess with it a little.

1 Like

Ah I see.

Just a throw-away note - you can have almost any (reasonable) number of partitions, as long as one of the 4 is an extended partition - which can contain others. In earlier days I might have up to 10 or twelve partitions on MBR. It led to some very odd partition numbering schemes (sda1, sda2, sda5, sda6, sda7), but it worked well. :grin:

2 Likes

So, you don’t want to resume the swapfile - you want to resume your normal partition. My system is on dev/sda4

So, in grub, you want to resume there, not the swapfile. My grub file for instance:

If you do have that, please post grub so we can see what you see.

1 Like

Ah I see that makes sense.

Its working right now but do you still want my config file?

Yeah I thought I could do that but I heard not every operating system can suppport being installed on a logical partition fitted inside an extended partition.

If it’s working - no, just please mark whichever post solved your issue so that others who are searching the forum can find this thread and have it help them also!

Which post should I mark as solved since there were two posts that actually solved it?

The last one would be my suggestion. Then folks can read the thread after finding the answer.

1 Like

The only OS with a problem that way that I ever heard of was Windows. So, a typical multiboot would be 1 primary for Win, 1 Primary to contain and extended, and as many partition (and OS’s) as you please within the extended…

Either way - I am thankful for UEFI and GPT having taken over the world :grin:

Its also BSD (Trident OS to be more specifc), cause what if I wanted to have something like OpenBSD and mount the home partition to that OS, then I would need to ensure that any unix-based/like OSs can easily just mount the home partition.

Maybe I should have done that anyways.

Yep same here, its really unfortunate whoever setted up this computer decided to use MBR rather than GPT when installing Windows.

Is it possible for me to encrypt an extended partition with LUKS if you happen to know?

I’m afraid I don’t know about that, but perhaps this (or similar) could be made to apply to your situation?

There are several such how-tos - hopefully one applies! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks mate :slight_smile: I can give this a true, hopefully it doesn’t screw up Linux.

1 Like

Backups first! It doesn’t take long to install (relatively speaking) - but regenerating whatever data you have… only you will know!

1 Like

This method worked for me.

1 Like

Ok I am having another issue now. after running echo disabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-14/power/wakeup it does work correctly, but when I did step 3 which was to add this command to the /etc/rc.local, after a reboot when I move the mouse it still wakes up from sleep/hibernation.