Can't run gnome-control-center, libicui18n.so.70 missing

Hello!
I’m fully upgraded, but when I try to open Settings in gnome, I get nothing. I ran gnome-control-center via terminal and this is the output.

gnome-control-center: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.70: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

icu was recently updated to 71, how do I correct this issue? It doesn’t seem like other people are running into it, so I must have done something to cause it.

I would try to refresh my mirrorlist, for example:

sudo reflector --latest 5 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

and then do a:

sudo pacman -Syyu

1 Like

Output was

WARNING: failed to rate rsync download (rsync://archlinux.thaller.ws/archlinux/community/os/x86_64/community.db): Download timed out after 5 second(s).

Do you have rsync installed?

1 Like

Yup, version 3.2.4-1.

1 Like

That is a warning anyways, not an error, so I would try again and then run

sudo pacman -Syyu

I think you could also launch the Welcome app and refresh your mirrors from there.

1 Like

Yeah I re-ran the command and increased the download timeout to 10 seconds and it worked fine. Ran the update and it turned back nothing to do, fully updated.

1 Like

I’m not having this issue with gnome-control-center (version 42.0-1). It launches both from the icon and in a terminal.

I have seen other people having had issues with the icu update but it was about other apps.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen posts refer to rebuilding the package so it references the latest icu version.

1 Like

Uhg, I just fixed it… I’m stupid. I was blocking smbclient from updating to the latest version because it wasn’t working. I just unblocked it and everything works fine now.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help with this! :grinning:

1 Like

That’s great!
Glad you sorted it out!
:enos_flag:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.