Can't ping any host on my network

Yes I can ping the ip address directly and get the appropriate response

So its not a problem with the switch, gateway, wireless router or ufw…

It could be the search option missing in /etc/resolv.conf

It is normal you need to setup some kind of name resolution either using the /etc/hosts file or running a local name service.

Not all ISP supplied equipment is doing local name resolution.

Doing some reading on the deco, it’s looking like I may need to set up my own internal DNS. I’ve never done this before, any recommendations?

Setting up a local nameservice is far from trivial.

The simplest means is using the /etc/hosts and a static ip adressing schema. You can use - mostly - copy paste to setup the network.

If you only have a few hosts it is by far the easiest way to do it.

dnsmasq should be fairly simple - if you have a raspberry pi or similar it won’t hog your power budget.

My setup is using a pi with the default OS using bind and isc-dhcp-service to provide subdomain to a public domain I own. the dhcp service provides static IPs to the hosts by means of mac addresses. For the remaining hosts (guests, phones and tablets is supplied by a dynamic range).

There is several benefits to that approach - far from trivial to setup - but when the initial configuration is done - it is a breeze to maintain. I even have policy zone to provide adblocking.

good point, copying a hosts file would also be the fastest, I could then think about a more a DNS server later down the road. Just to close the loop, the issue looks like it’s specific to Deco that their router does not properly do local DNS.

final update: since there aren’t many computers on my network I just created a hosts file that I distributed to all my machines and now things work like they should. Guess I won’t be buying a Deco mesh the next time I upgrade hardware.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.