Can't install Endeavouros

Hello … I tried to install endeavouros and at step , where start installing grub, I got an error - no space left on device

I’m trying install os on my flash drive - SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 120GB USB 3.1

My laptop specification:
Laptop - Asus TUF 505gd
CPu - i5 8gen
GPu - nvidia 1050
RAM - 16GB
BIOS version - 305

Installing on USB stick? Not recommended :upside_down_face:
Is the stick empty or is it holding a live system ? May you need to clear it to be able to use the complete space if the stick. And I am not sure at all if it will work to boot and use it.

1 Like

Stick is fully clean, live system I’m holding on another stick.
So, you recommend install on HDD ?

it’s the first time you install a linux on this pc or not

1 Like

No, previously i used Deepin OS but there was bugs with videocard
And also Parrot OS

Definitely this is a desktop distro rather than a stick one. It is more than likely possible, but, it would be a pain getting it set up right.

1 Like

On latest Deepin OS 15.11, video card bugs due to the 4.15.0 Kernel very often with the AMD Ryzen CPU + Vega GPU…

Which Video card do you use ?

1 Like

Welcome @yuuhirokabe
What is the reason why you want to install it onto a flash drive? It looks like the Laptop has hybrid graphics Intel and Nvidia. So you are able to run the live ISO no problem? I assume you have secure boot and fast boot disabled on the laptop since you mentioned you previously ran other DeepinOS and Parrot OS. Were these installed on this hardware or on the usb stick? The grub error no space left on device is not because of the drive size because 120 GB is definitely large enough. It’s another issue but not sure what you are doing exactly trying to install it?

1 Like

Daily I’m using Windows and when turning up PC, I don’t want slow down it with grub bootloader.
Also I want to keep space on Windows

Why I need linux then? Because I’m studying cyber security and for that I need linux

Having grub as boot loader really doesn’t slow down the pc. I have dual boot Windows 10 and EndeavourOS and you can set it to always boot Windows 10 if you like using grub customizer or other means. Then when you want to boot into EndeavourOS you just have to select it when booting. But it’s your choice i’m just saying it’s milleseconds we are talking about. Anyway did you attempt to install it using the online installer?

1 Like

Hello @yuuhirokabe,

did you try to install it on your laptop instead of the usb stick? Does it work then?

I can recommend the online installer based on calamares. :+1:

1 Like

Right now I can’t install with online installer because I lost my ethernet cable, but maybe tomorrow I will try with online installer.

Yes, I tried install on HDD, but there is also problem , wireless driver not working properly and I can’t connect to the internet

:point_up_2:If you have a cell phone you can use that as a tether. :point_down:

1 Like

I would try to use the online installer, it searches itself for the newest software/updates and maybe or hopefully for the right and newest drivers, too?

1 Like

also before you hit install hit update welcome first, then reopen welcome and install from there.

1 Like

You could also install the offline version of Xfce. I think your wireless is iwlwifi (Intel) on this hardware.

One working idea is to install Linux as a VM (virtual machine). Your machine has 16GB RAM (right?), so a VM runs probably reasonably well.
So e.g. VirtualBox from Oracle is a good VM manager and runs in Windows. You’ll need the EndeavourOS ISO, no usb drive. Take the time to learn how to use VirtualBox, it is worth it.

3 Likes

I do some research and it is may this: http://www.wyae.de/docs/boot-usb3/
So you could try installing by using a usb2 port.
And if you need USB3 for better speed adjust bootloader to carry the needed drivers.
Mainly the issue to have OS on USB stick is that it is causing a lot of rewrites on the flash storage what is not good for it’s health. The archwiki have a page on this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key
Possible to get the get the tweaks working with EndeavourOS install too but will need some tricks.

2 Likes