Can't install Brave browser

What is FF?

FF = Firefox :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, thatā€™s not true. We chose Firefox because it is the only open-source browser that isnā€™t using the Blink engine (Chromium) and is widely supported mainstream and with that I mean support for online banking, shopping, most governmental services etc.

We are not affiliated in any way with the Mozilla organisation. The opinions here are all personal opinions and are not the vision of EndeavourOS.

EndeavourOS is a blank canvas and youā€™re free to install anything you like without losing the friendly support of the community or the devs.

4 Likes

Except I donā€™t deny it at all, and I agree with your opinion. I myself use Firefox in 99% and stay away from Chromium :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I only meant the person of Brendan Eich.
A co-founder of the Mozilla project (previously in Netscape) and for 11 years in the Mozilla Foundation.

2 Likes

Ah, you meant with this project Brave, my apologies Iā€™ll take it back.

2 Likes

Itā€™s okay; no problem at all.

1 Like

Wow! Have you looked at the size of the Brave staff? How can a browser like Brave financially support that many people? Take a look at:

advertising money is my guess.

ā€¦ or are voluntary contributions to browsers beyond my comprehension?

That is crazyā€¦no wonder they want you to look at ads so they can get revenue. Maybe they stop other trackers but are they tracking you? :thinking:

@CMarch @garybean @ricklinux

The thing is that with that browser, you have to specifically opt in with the ads program before you actually earn money. I did not opt in at all. And plus according to the brave team it isnā€™t supposed to track you.

Besides Mozilla has done shady stuff with Firefox, does anyone remember how Firefox was preinstalling an addon without userā€™s consent to promote a tv show called Mr Robot?

every browser does on some point shady things :slight_smile: there always opensource counterparts

dilli elinks eolie ephiphany falkon :slight_smile:

:thinking:

Yeah it sucks mate.

sorry what does this mean?

just examples, dont wanna anoy someone also :slight_smile:

but i recently switched from Chromium to FF; the sync to phone i currently preferā€¦ there is more alternatives also :slight_smile: with opensource webbrowsers btw on my old video card on opensource drivers always some issues is also not the best way on somepoint,

tried brave once, but was not my thing also, but its personal also.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried many browsers over the years. Netscape was the first and I was really sad to see it go, but its time was up. After running through 5 or 6 in the last two years to see whatā€™s new and promising I settled on two FF is my main-go-to browser with Chromium being the referee if things go south in FF. Brave was not my thing and although I like Vivaldi, three browsers is one to many.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll stick with Firefox. :wink:

2 Likes

I would like to install Brave browser, but in aur there are two packages: brave and brave-bin

which one would you choose? :slight_smile:
from a security point of view they are the same in your opinion?

Stick with brave-bin last time brave was broken, it would not compile on my system and plus brave (if it is by now fixed) would take longer to install as it has to compile.

1 Like

I use both Brave and Firefox. I kike the idea of the Chromium engine not being attached to Google, or reporting home. The whole ads thing is a bit strange but one build I tried it and it isnā€™t obtrusive. However - the main use I have for it is that it doesnā€™t ā€œloseā€ where you were when you close it :grin:

Go with the Brave-bin - it is much quicker than building from scratch all the time, and stays updated better.

2 Likes