Can't change name files before download

I don’t know if this is a Plasma issue or a general one, but before Plasma 5.25 I could change a name of a file I wanted to download, for instance, an invoice in the window where it asks in which file it should go to.

Since Plasma 5.25, I can’t do that anymore and I have to do that after download. This might seem trivial, but if you are downloading a bunch of invoices, named customer-service-invoice the system will ask if you want to overwrite the existing file, in case you forget to change the name before downloading the new one.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Hmm…I don’t see that here on my end

honka_animated-128px-46

Firefox?

1 Like

Yes, indeed Firefox. it never occurred to me it could be browser related, I will try Vivaldi.

1 Like

Firefox uses generic GTK file dialog i would think that’s most likely the problem part, unless you have changed it to qt file dialog deliberately by using environment variables…

1 Like

Yup, it was Firefox!! I just downloaded a wallpaper in Vivaldi on this forum and, indeed, I could change the name as before.
Thnx!!!

1 Like

No problem :enos:

I wonder why it behaves that way for you and i’m fine though, interesting…

1 Like

I have this issue too in Firefox :frowning: but I also use the DownThemAll addon which gives more functionality to downloading files:

https://www.downthemall.org/

2 Likes

I’ve found out what was causing it (for me at least @Bryanpwo ). I’d set theGTK_USE_PORTAL=1 environment variable. Removing this has brought back the download/rename popup :+1:

2 Likes

A further update…

It turns out that I didn’t have xdg-desktop-portal installed :person_facepalming: (only xdg-desktop-portal-kde). Installing that, and then changing the two widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal settings in about:config recommended here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox#KDE_integration has restored the Save As functionality and uses the KDE dialogs :+1:

This has been bugging me for a while, so I’m glad I’ve fixed it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That did the trick, I didn’t have either one of those packages installed. It’s a mystery that I was able to change the name before, though.

2 Likes

Yeah now it makes sense, i had all that stuff installed :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I think something has changed in Firefox too, but at least we have both got it sorted now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Did this work for prior to Firefox 100, then fail after update to Firefox 100?

Pudge

It might have been, but I can’t be certain…

For a while I was using the default download option (saving straight to the Downloads folder) and using DownThemAll for anything more complicated.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.