Cannot use external display through USB-C

Returns no output. I will install the package you mentioned.

There is a UEFI Firmware update i think also.

I am running the latest version of the bios already

I have installed that package, didn’t change anything

I was just going by the output you posted.

BIOS E155LAMS.113 08/30/2022

Edit: Is this the correct model. It only shows A5M

https://www.msi.com/Business-Productivity/Modern-15-A5SX/support?sub_product=Modern-15-A5M

This is what MSI shows.

https://www.msi.com/faq/2201

If I understood correctly that FAQ (the screenshot on it) does having a USB Type-C 3.2gen2 mean it supports DP?

My model is a Modern 15 A5M-284XPT (PT for portuguese keyboard layout)

I guess the A5M is the general overview of the models, as they have some variants.

Well, after hopping into windows on my laptop (installed it alongside endeavour) the usb-c port works fine. I used the adapter and windows recognizes the adapter just fine.

I guess it is indeed a driver issue on the my Endeavour’s install.

Well you could try the lts kernel and see if it works or if you want try the zen kernel or both to see. You can install the package akm which is a kernel manager. This makes it really easy to install and uninstall those kernels to try this.

I’m installing that kernel manager right now. Since it’s kinda late on my end rn, I’ll test the kernels you mentioned tomorrow.

1 Like

Should I leave both linux-lts and zen kernels installed or should I test on at a time?

When installing the zen kernel (alongside the lts kernel) I got the following warnings at the end of the installation process (on the image). Are they relevant to the usb Issue?

EDIT: After installing both kernels, the usb port is still not working. I’ve got two adapters: one works on every computer except mine and the other one only works on my fathers computer. Maybe I’ll get another adapter to see if it works on mine and on other computers.

Fwiw, I know, especially Lenovo (myself included) is having a pretty rough time with USBC outputs/docks on the 6.1 kernel.

If your can use the lts, you may have better results. I’m broken here too, but bug reports are coming in for fixes.

(If you posted you tried it already, please disregard this message. It’s like 3 am and I didn’t read this whole thing)

No worries. I have removed the zen kernel and I’m staying with the linux-lts kernel instead. My father has a lenovo for work and their adapters suck. They do not work properly but all computers at my home detect it with no issues, that’s why I’m using it to see if my computer detects the monitor.

As I said before, I might consider buying a taking mine and my sisters + fathers laptop to a shop and see if the adapter is compatible with all of our laptops.

What adapter are you referring to? I thought you were talking about the usb-c port directly on the laptop?

Yes, the usb port is on the laptop, I was trying to use a vga to usbc adapter to use my second monitor through usbc.

Through dmesg, sudo dmesg --follow, I could see that the usbc port is working, and the adapter is detected. One of them doesn’t work, I guess it requires PD to work, something my usb port doesn’t have.

Since then, I can conclude the issue is fixed, I just need a new adapter. Thanks for your help in getting the issue solved.

Okay but you said that the usb-c wasn’t charging your phone and couldn’t browse files on the phone either? That would be with a different cable not the adapter?

Yes, that was a different cable. Maybe it isn’t a proper cable

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.