Cannot mount partitions to permanent mount point through fstab

The NTFS UUIDs in blkid have upper-case letters. The NTFS UUIDs you added to your fstab have lower-case letters. Make your fstab match the blkid output. The UUIDs are case-sensitive.

6 Likes

Fstab file has uuid with lower case letters in them already.

Correct - that’s what I said. It should be upper-case to match the blkid output.

1 Like

Files were empty.

It worked. But the lines that were generated by the system in there were using lowercase. So why are these ones case sensitive?

What command did you use to generate the fstab lines?

I didn’t. Those lines were already there when I opened it.

You said that:

so how did you add the UUID to the fstab?

I was able to boot into endeavour OS. I edited the file to put in mount points so I wouldn’t have to mount them everytime and can simply start using hte programs I use because all my project and other data are on seperate partitions and my OS partitions are seperate.

# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=4209-BD19                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=7183754b-0e94-4593-a42f-6db39f25bf95 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=265FD3875D5E6978 /drive/High\040Performance ntfs defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=94E27932E2791A26 /drive/ENTERTAINMENT ntfs defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=E6AED571AED53B2F /drive/GAMES ntfs defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=FC9C75609C7515FC /drive/Random ntfs defaults,noatime 0 2

The first two lines (boot/efi and root) were already there from the start. Fresh setup of Endeavour here.

OK, so you manually added the UUIDs of the four NTFS partitions yourself after installing EnOS.

The first two lines were already correct as genfstab uses the correct UUIDs for partitions. Note that the vfat partition is upper-case and the ext4 partition is lower-case, but those will match the partition’s actual UUID.

fstab UUIDs are case-sensitive.

1 Like

Yes and the root partition has UUID with lowercase letters so I am asking why the other partitions require uppercase letters. Especially since InfoCenter shows the UUID as lowercase.

I edited my post just before you posted:

Yeah, a pro tip for anyone who is lazy like me is to install the arch-install-scripts package and use genfstab to avoid getting memed by typos and what have you.

EDIT: Looks like in EOS it’s installed by default. This is what you want to run to generate a new fstab:

genfstab -U /

5 Likes

I gotta figure out how to automate the process of auto mounting all my partitions at boot because I rely on it no matter what distro I use.

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid

copy/paste into fstab with the desired mount point.

If you need GUI application for managing the mounting of your devices both KDE Partiton Manager and Disks (gnome-disk-utility) can be useful.

This will mount all disks?

Why? Not FHS compliant? In that case, /data/games isn’t either.
Maybe I wasn’t clear, obviously you do not mount directly on /mnt but on subdirectories therein.

/media is for external devices normally, mostly manually mounted CD/DVD or even USB disks or sticks. But systemd/udev is taking care of these and puts them into /run/...

EDIT: you’re right, /mnt should be for temporary mounts. However, I don’t think that there is any problem mounting device X to /mnt/X or device Y to /mnt/Y. Problematic is direct mounting to /mnt. My VBoxes reside in /mnt/vbox for example.

2 Likes

No. I was just saying that’d give you the UUIDs for your disks so you can easily copy/paste it into fstab and then supply it with the mount point.

Oh I usually just use inxi or lsblk or lspci to get the uuids