Cannot boot up after installation

Sorry,
I’m half asleep here as i see you did mention this in an earlier post now that i read from the top. So when you installed Mint did it take over control for grub to boot because you installed it after i would think it has. I think what you are going to have to do is boot up on the live Endeavour ISO and Arch-chroot into the system and try to fix the boot by reinstalling grub. It’s not hard you only need to follow the instructions.

Edit: Also you mentioned about audio issues even on Mint. Your hardware has sof-audio-pci
This requires sof-firmware to be installed in Endeavour after when you get it working. On Mint you may also have to install it as I’m not sure whether they do or not but on arch it is not installed,

yes, i think it did, as the grub menu is now not as fancy as it was when only endevouros was installed.

ok, i will try that , as long as it boots off the liveOS. when i tried it earlier, i got the same cannot find UUIDxxx message.

sorry for keeping you up,…, will continue tomorrow

yes will work on the audio issues, once it get working, but thanks for telling me that

tks

nals

I don’t see that it should give you any issue booting on the live ISO unless it’s not booting from the usb .

right, did get into the live cd and chroot (i think, but got lost on the instructions thereafter.

however, making some progress

nals

It’s pretty straight forward but i think you can get lost with the instructions. Basically you just boot on the live ISO.

sudo su

Then you have need to know what your partitions are. Once you determine that. You need to mount /root.

mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt

Then you have to mount the efi partition.

mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi

Then you

arch-chroot /mnt

Then you are in the installed system and you can reinstall grub with the instructions and then generate a new grub configuration using the command.

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I think these were your partitions where you installed EndeavourOS. You don’t have a /boot partition so that step is skipped.

If worst comes to worse you could just reinstall. If i was to do that i would just boot on the live ISO and use manual partitioning and select and set the two partitions during the install process. That is also very easy. You just edit the existing partitions to set them as /root and also the efi partition as /boot/efi and select /boot in the lower window. Just don’t format the /efi partition just keep. Only format the /root to ext4 and the reinstall should work fine and pick up mint also which is on the last partition.

Edit: Hope this helps.

non arch systems have issues detecting archbased systen correctly for grub… because archbased use to have two initramfs lines and grub from non archbased systems does detecting it wrongly

thank you rick,

will try and report back

nals

trying the chroot alternative, says efi mount point does not exist.
“”"
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ sudo su
[root@archiso liveuser]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
[root@archiso liveuser]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi
mount: /boot/efi: mount point does not exist.
[root@archiso liveuser]#
“”"""
what should i do, please ?

nals

trying to reinstall with the partitions correctly set mountpoints. gparted just seems stuck at this point.

meanwhile calamares shows following
09:42:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:43:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:43:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:44:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:45:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:45:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:46:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:47:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:47:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:48:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:49:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:49:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:50:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:51:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:51:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:52:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:53:14 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:53:54 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
09:54:34 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide
^A
not clear what is going on

thanks for any help

nals

I think this should be:
mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi

1 Like

pebcak, thank you, that did it.

now says cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1
‘’’’’
[liveuser@eos-2021.02.03 ~]$ sudo su
[root@archiso liveuser]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt
[root@archiso liveuser]#
mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
[root@archiso liveuser]# arch-chroot /mnt
[root@archiso /]# sudo pacman reinstall grub
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)
[root@archiso /]#

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device.map.
Found Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa (20.1) on /dev/nvme0n1p3
done
‘’’’’
nals

1 Like

Sorry I must have missed typing that. This was supposed to be a quick explanation but expected he would follow the wikki page but was having some trouble understanding it. Thanks for correcting my error. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry about my quickly written instructions. The other grub error is just because you have the live usb still inserted when you updated grub. No issue there. Hope it’s working for you now.

this is a challange,…

so shut down, took out the usb and rebooted. on the grub menu chose endevouros. nothing, just a dead black screen. the linux mint does boot up, same as before.

also tried the reinstall option, chose manual partition, put in the mount points. do not see any apply button in the format window (there is a restore button though), and when i click the next button, nothing happens. should i try that again, and post what calamares is saying in the terminal ?

thank you for your time and effort.

nals

You boot on the live ISO. Start the installer. Use manual partitioning. Click on /dev/nvme0n1p1 so it’s highlighted and then click on edit. Look at the info. You can keep or reformat it fat 32. I said keep and you must flag it /boot/efi and in the box below that mark it /boot. Then select /dev/nvme0n1p2 so it’s highlighted and then select edit and reformat it ext4 and flag it /root and in the box below check /root. That’s it. Then click next and go through the install steps to select the online install of the desktop etc…

tks rick.
the fat 32 partition, i can do as you say.
onthe ext 4 partition /root option is not there , though i can type it in manually.

in either case the /root option is not there to select, though i can type in ‘root’ manually. the only options in the box below are bios-grub and boot

i guess that is where the glitch is

thanks again

nals

here is what it looks like

nals

It doesn’t show in the drop down menu to the right in Mount Point?

Okay I see originally you showed this. Are you sure which partition Mint is installed on?

/dev/nvme0n1p2 618496 581042226 580423731 276.8G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p3 581044224 2000408575 1419364352 676.8G Linux filesystem

Now you are showing nvme0n1p2 as 673.31 GB

sorry, it does, is the last choice. hoewever the flag to /root, is not there.

anyway trying it again. think will work

nals