Can’t login

i rebooted my laptop after installing endeavour os and when it boots up it opens up a terminal session in which it asks me to type in my password and then it sends another command in which i do not know what to type… can anybody help me with this? this a picture after i type in my password
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 16.55.24

From the look of the screen - you HAVE logged in…

What comes next depends on what you have installed. Did you choose a GUI (Desktop Environment) like XFCE or KDE or MATE or Gnome? Or a Window manager like i3? Without this information, we would only be throwing around wild guesses as to what comes next - or can even be done!. Please give us as much info as you can manage - booting up from the install ISO is good for getting information - especially in text mode (paste it in after triple backticks and follow it with another triple backtick). Waiting to see what you come up with! :grin:

4 Likes

That’s your terminal prompt, farish@farish..., not a command. The system is now waiting for you to issue a command.

4 Likes

pretty sure i chose desktop environment

sorry, yes i meant terminal prompt. the command in which i type in is what i don’t quite have the idea of.

and what was the Desktop you have chosen?
May you untag some packages in the packages module inside the installer?

You can send installer log by typing this (if you have wired network):
cat /var/log/endeavour-install.log | eos-sendlog

I’m sorry i have just realized that I actually didn’t choose any desktop packages or whatever, I only chose the top one which is base-devel and common packages and I left the rest unchecked

Although, this is what came up after I typed in that command

https://clbin.com/4nxeM

is the link to the log :wink:

only base common package chosen:

Running ("pacman", "-Sy", "--noconfirm", "--needed", "--disable-download-timeout", "libwnck3", "mesa-utils", "xf86-input-libinput", "xorg-xdpyinfo", "xorg-server", "xorg-xinit", "xorg-xinput", "xorg-xkill", "xorg-xrandr", "xf86-video-amdgpu", "xf86-video-ati", "xf86-video-intel", "b43-fwcutter", "broadcom-wl-dkms", "crda", "dhclient", "dialog", "dnsmasq", "dnsutils", "ethtool", "gnu-netcat", "ipw2100-fw", "ipw2200-fw", "iwd", "linux-atm", "modemmanager", "nbd", "ndisc6", "networkmanager", "networkmanager-openvpn", "nmap", "nss-mdns", "openconnect", "openvpn", "ppp", "pptpclient", "rp-pppoe", "sshfs", "usb_modeswitch", "vpnc", "whois", "wireless-regdb", "wireless_tools", "wpa_supplicant", "xl2tpd", "downgrade", "pacman-contrib", "pkgfile", "rebuild-detector", "reflector", "yay", "accountsservice", "bash-completion", "ffmpegthumbnailer", "gst-libav", "gst-plugin-pipewire", "gst-plugins-bad", "gst-plugins-ugly", "libdvdcss", "libgsf", "libopenraw", "mlocate", "poppler-glib", "xdg-user-dirs", "xdg-utils", "efitools", "haveged", "nfs-utils", "nilfs-utils", "ntp", "smartmontools", "unrar", "unzip", "xz", "adobe-source-han-sans-cn-fonts", "adobe-source-han-sans-jp-fonts", "adobe-source-han-sans-kr-fonts", "cantarell-fonts", "freetype2", "noto-fonts", "opendesktop-fonts", "ttf-bitstream-vera", "ttf-dejavu", "ttf-liberation", "ttf-opensans", "alsa-firmware", "alsa-plugins", "alsa-utils", "pavucontrol", "pipewire-pulse", "pipewire-media-session", "pipewire-alsa", "pipewire-jack", "amd-ucode", "dmidecode", "dmraid", "hdparm", "hwdetect", "intel-ucode", "lsscsi", "mtools", "sg3_utils", "sof-firmware", "power-profiles-daemon", "upower", "endeavouros-theming", "eos-apps-info", "eos-hooks", "eos-log-tool", "eos-rankmirrors", "eos-update-notifier", "grub-tools", "reflector-simple", "welcome", "yad-eos", "duf", "findutils", "firefox", "fsarchiver", "git", "glances", "hwinfo", "inxi", "meld", "nano-syntax-highlighting", "neofetch", "pcurses", "pv", "python-defusedxml", "python-packaging", "rsync", "tldr", "sed", "wget")

It shows that you do not choose a Desktop environment so installation is only a base system without any Desktop.

1 Like

2022-02-22_13-41
On this screen, you need to check one of the Desktops…

Or right now you can install a desktop of choose from there. Let say gnome, just type

yay -S gnome

And after install

sudo systemctl enable gdm.service

To enable the DM. Reboot and you have your DE.

3 Likes

or use our new helper tool to install the same packages installer would use:

yay -S eos-packagelist

eos-packagelist --help
usage: eos-packagelist [-h] [--list] [--arch ARCH] [--install] [profile ...]

The EndeavourOS package list handler gets package information from the current installer files and allows you to optionally install them

positional arguments:
  profile      The name of the profile you want to see packages for

options:
  -h, --help   show this help message and exit
  --list       Lists the available options
  --arch ARCH  Only include packages available on ARM
  --install    Install the packages on the list using pacman instead of just listing them

example: eos-packagelist "Awesome Edition"

will need to enable the DM anyway still using:
sudo systemctl enable lightdm p.e. replace lightdm with sddm for plasma or lxqt and with lxdm for lxde … gdm for gnome …

4 Likes

Wow I missed that new helper! Great work!