Can only boot from mint grub

I have Mint, Mx, Windows, in my computer all in separate hard drives; After editing mint grub, I was able to boot, but if I try directly from Endeavour hard drive it goes into grub rescue mode, how can I fix this so I can used it to be my default drive at start up and hoping it wont fail, like it happen with Manjaro

Have you edited the settings in your UEFI/BIOS so that Endeavour is the default boot?

Ubuntu?,Debian, winblows. and you want to use Mint’s grub to boot arch based distributions?

If they are all on separate drives, not partitions, like each a different install, then isn’t it down to BIOS how it boots? I don’t multiboot so I’m a bit “green” on this. I’m thinking BIOS because it’s embedded in the hardware. All that comes after is just partitions of software surely? I’m trying to start at the source. If however EnOS doesn’t boot at all then there must be another issue…

yes I make EnOS the default but it goes into grub rescue; and I want to make it the default because it is recommended , but the only way to start it is from mint , in trying to find a stable OS I had problems with Arch base ones, because after a while they loose grub and can not be started from other OS, which is a problem for quite a few at least from the forums and articles I came across, Manjaro had fix some of that, but it only lasted three weeks and it lost grub menu.

Did you boot to EndeavourOS from Mint’s grub menu? Then did you try running os-prober and then update grub from EndeavourOS by sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for jr:
sudo: update-grub: command not found
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ sudo os-prober
/dev/sda1:MX 19.4 patito feo (19.4 ):MX:linux
/dev/sdc1:Windows 10:Windows:chain
/dev/sdd5:Linux Mint 20.2 Uma (20.2):LinuxMint:linux
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: intel-ucode.img initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
done
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$
but at least is now starting from it’s own hard drive

You said it’s starting from it’s own hard drive? Are all the OS installed on the same drive? What boot menu are getting now?

Edit: Can you now boot into EndeavourOS? If you can could you boot into it and post the following link to this command.

cat /etc/default/grub | eos-sendlog

Did you do this while booted into EndeavourOS? That’s where you need to run the commands so that EndeavourOS grub is controlling the boot process. What i do is boot into each other Linux after and remove OS-prober from them so that only EndeavourOS has it if it’s working correctly.

Edit: Just wanted to check the default grub to make sure it has GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in it.

yes it can boot from it’s own drive, the menu is only for ENOS, because the warning above?,
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ cat /etc/default/grub | eos-sendlog
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 2010 100 18 100 1992 1 152 0:00:18 0:00:13 0:00:05 3
http://ix.io/3sbn
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$

You need to be booted into EndeavourOS and add that line to the default grub and then update grub again. Then what i do if it is working right and EndeavourOS grub menu is the one controlling it i boot into each other linux os and remove os-prober from each. That way when their grub gets updated it won’t take over.

Boot Into EndeavourOS

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

add the following line if it’s not there.

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Then ctrl + o and then enter to save
Then ctrl +x to exit

Then run again

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If it’s working correctly boot into other Linux OS and remove os-prober from them.

Edit2: After removing os-prober from Mint and MX you can update grub when booted in each of those and it will only load the OS you are booted in so nothing else will be in the grub menu’s on MX and Mint. Then only Grub on Endeavour OS will have all the entries for Eos, Windows, MX and Mint.

Edit3: This is the way i do it on mine. Your Choice.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter really where you add the line to the default grub file. I added it right near the top but could also be down at the bottom.

Example:

# GRUB boot loader configuration

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="EndeavourOS"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet cryptdevice=UUID=a209e59c-bdbd-43ec-a367-17786b03066c:luks-a209e59c-bdbd-43ec-a367-17786b03066c root=/dev/mapper/luks-a209e59c-bdbd-43ec-a367-17786b03066c resume=/dev/mapper/luks-a209e59c-bdbd-43ec-a367->
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Edit: Just make sure after adding it and saving the file you run the command again to update grub.

no it did not work

but this time the warning is that OS prober will be executed
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
[sudo] password for jr:
Generating grub configuration file …
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: intel-ucode.img initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found MX 19.4 patito feo (19.4 ) on /dev/sda1
Found Windows 10 on /dev/sdc1
Found Linux Mint 20.2 Uma (20.2) on /dev/sdd5
done
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$ sudo update-grub
sudo: update-grub: command not found
[jr@jr-z68 ~]$

If you wish to use the “update-grub” command you need to install it in Endeavour. It’s in the AUR.

1 Like

that did it thank you all very much

1 Like

How is this

that did it thank you all very much

the solution to the problem in the OP?

If I have this or a similar problem next time, to solve it I just have to say “that did it thank you all very much”? :man_facepalming:t3:

Please mark the correct post as the solution.

3 Likes

So is it working now booting with grub bootloader from EndeavourOS with all the entries in it?

yes it looks like the combination of allowing os-prober and installing “update-grub”; so once again thank you all very much

So why are you marking your own post as the solution, again?

Mark the post which solved your problem.

It’s this post, by @ricklinux

Really, nothing on this forum upsets me more than people not giving credit to others who invested time and effort to help them. Self-solving should not be allowed. There are people on this forum who have dozens of “solutions”, yet never helped anyone with anything.

3 Likes