Can one do system updates too often?

Kalu has been checking once an hour for updates without me changing anything. Is there potential harm in running the system upgrade every time it comes up with something new? The wiki tells me not to wait too long, but doesn’t mention if too frequently is a bad thing as well.

Welcome,
I think it’s more important that you don’t leave updates for a long period of time to pile up as opposed to frequently updating. When I say a long period of time I mean over a week or more or longer.

I run an update once each day, usually with my morning medications. I uninstalled kalu as it was not doing any good reminding me to do something I do as habit. :thinking:

4 Likes

IMO it’s better to do the small updates as they come, if something goes wrong it’s much easier finding the update that caused the problem.

I don’t have problems, lucky me, and don’t need to knock on wood. If I ever have a major problem I’ll knock on Timeshift :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’m brave enough for that at this point, but I appreciate your input! Your Arch based Xfce distros video is why I found Endeavour in the first place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a good point about being able to pin down the problem more easily if one doesn’t leave updates to pile up. If something does go wrong, how quickly is that apparent? I don’t have experience with rolling release distros, and it seems to me that problems with Ubuntu-based distros sometimes weren’t apparent until after a logout or reboot.

Same for me, first thing in the moring is an upgrade, later I’m too busy with my stuff to check for updates.

I’ve never encountered problems with upgrading as soon as upgrade was available, so I guess you can’t upgrade too often.

1 Like

Im also used to update notifier, that habit to update, friend of mine updates every saturday. Is just how you likr to do :grin:. You can always check first on forum first.

I think twice a week is a good start. By the way, big updates are going to be available soon on Archlinux stable so on EndeavourOS too.

Got these packages this morning on my Archlinux + testing (I’m crazy !!!) desktop:

[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] transaction started
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded linux-api-headers (5.1-1 -> 5.3.1-1)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded glibc (2.29-4 -> 2.30-1)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Generating locales...
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   fr_FR.UTF-8... done
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Generation complete.
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded binutils (2.32-2 -> 2.32-3)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded gcc-libs (9.1.0-2 -> 9.2.0-2)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded gcc (9.1.0-2 -> 9.2.0-2)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded libtool (2.4.6+42+gb88cebd5-5 -> 2.4.6+42+gb88cebd5-6)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded linux (5.3.1.arch1-1 -> 5.3.2.arch2-1)
[2019-10-04 08:46] [ALPM] upgraded linux-headers (5.3.1.arch1-1 -> 5.3.2.arch2-1)

New and major glibc version, same for gcc and new kernel minor update. Looks like big upgrades are coming :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sometimes I go days without turning on the computer, so I set my update check on Fridays. You can always run it back with Timeshift.

@ogrefriend i personally have a routine of checking on daily basis !
the first actions i do before i go anything deep with my laptop is
1- Check for updates (including the AUR because i got packages from there too)
2- After the updates are applied, i reboot to check if something has regressed or not
3- install a software i may need in between or just simply go my route and work.

late before i sleep i do almost the same
1- Check for updates (in case there are)
2- Reboot to check for any possible regression
* if regression or issue found: take note of it and plan for early search on the internet for possible solution
* if not regression found, go my way to bed in peace !

i never let a day pass without checking.

Blessings !

1 Like

I can’t make any true recommendations but I can make observations as well as a workaround.

The only time I ever had a problem with Antergos (which I used before EndeavourOS) was in the middle of the day when the pamac indicator showed that an update was available. I immediately did the update - and then my computer would not boot!

Fortunately, by going onto the forum, I was able to quickly find the solution and effect the fix. So now, I personally update only once a day, the first thing in the morning.

I would not uninstall Kalu. I still have Kalu installed as well as pamac (installed manually). But, in the Setiings Manager, I have set both to NOT autostart. In other words, both packages are still there but they do not start automatically. I can check or use them at MY convenience.

Just my observations …

Lawrence

1 Like

I found kalu would still show updates to be done even after I just did them in the terminal with pacman. I know I could disable kalu from starting up, but I figured if I do not want it running, why leave it installed. :slight_smile: