Can no longer find OS/hard drive after update

Weird, maybe it is failing or has come loose. This is a pretty old Laptop at this point. Where should I add nofail at in the /etc/fstab?

Considering that the Toshiba drive (sdb1) doesn’t have any of the main files on it and is just a storage drive, should that really stop it from booting?

That is what nofail is for. It tells it not to do that.

In the options settings for that device. It seems to be cutoff in your output above.

does it go after the 2 like so?

UUID=43651a5d-3f0d-4d20-b147-7fa7e710283c /home/workstation0/1Toshiba ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2, nofail

No, like this:

UUID=43651a5d-3f0d-4d20-b147-7fa7e710283c /home/workstation0/1Toshiba ext4 defaults,noatime,nofail 0 2

so save and try to reboot and hopefully that does it?

Yes, if it doesn’t work, you will need to run mkinitcpio -P from within the chroot.

1 Like

And if that doesn’t help, did you open the computer and see if the drive is still inside?

That worked. The drive is def still inside. This computer hasn’t gone anywhere that the drive could have been removed. But knowing that it was a Toshiba drive that had the issue, there were a few times that the drive couldn’t be found and my steam library was gone. Usually a restart fixed the issue. But maybe the drive is loose or failing.

It was only meant to be a joke, in response to the headline… :wink:

Did you

yet? (After saving and reboot.)

Lol. Yeah def missed the joke. Not yet. I shut back down and reseated the ssd to see if that helps. Booting back up now

Pressing all thumbs here.

Done. says image generation successful. So now that it is up and running, hopefully an update won’t kill it. I haven’t had this running for over a month, maybe a couple of months.

So happy. Please mark @dalto’s post as solution then!

Have a blast!

:heart_eyes:

So is there a way to try and repair the Toshiba drive. It says disk is okay, 8 bad sectors. It aslo says partitioning is unknown which is weird.

You could look into a complete repartitioning and reformatting of the drive to see what it does. I’ve had drives that kept working ok for years, after going down this way. Always cheaper than buying new ones.

A new one might still be due to keep your important data backed-up. :wink:

Thanks. All important files get backed up to server. The Toshiba drive had my steam library, but it’s not that big of a deal really. I’ll see if a reformatting will work.

Try an alternative partitioning scheme and format for once to use it as file-storage and see if it keeps working.

Example:
One partition Fat32 file system. You can modulate that to your liking…

Test it for a while. If not working properly, you can still throw it.

:wink:

could be problematic for game storage if files are bigger than 4GB :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.