Calamares using Google for GeoIP

It doesnt seem to be realistic in regards to Calamares without some REALLY serious work. Doing it as a button on the Welcome App (substantially easier) for those who know or care could be a simpler way and allow those who want to avoid Geo IP the option while keeping the regular install unchanged.

The Welcome App method seems like a way to allow paranoid and folks looking to be more privacy conscious to avoid 3rd parties they dont want and not complicate the install unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Yep, I told you Calamares is a beautiful monster :wink:
The idea is better on the Welcome, at least you have choice without adding step on Calamaresā€¦

This still does leave the question of how to let the user of the regular installer know that their location is being queried by a 3rd party. I think that transparency is important even if the person doesnt give a hoot about it. I actually didnt know any of this regarding the installer till i went looking. I think leaving Google as the Geo IP lookup for the installer would be ok as long as the user is made aware of it.

For now, we could add this in our policy, cause the licencing page or whatever data privacy are not ready on Calamares. But they are existing for now on our Privacy policy page

@Bryanpwo would answer you for this.

It actually wouldnt be hard to add that little bit to Calamares, not necessarily the entire Policy but just a notice wouldnt need much.

I seem to think Calamares can be configured to skip GeoIP. Thereā€™s already a nice location selector (with the map) so GeoIP just duplicates existing functionality.

5 Likes

Yeah, I remember some sort of GeoIP=disable switch on Manjaroā€¦

2 Likes

As usual for me, bit late to the discussion, but Iā€™m with just disabling it. In my experience GeoIP isnā€™t very accurate (I have literally ALWAYS had to set my own location, itā€™s never once gotten it right), and while I have nothing against something simple like that sending to google, I most definitely understand how some would (given my company uses Google for our corporate email, I donā€™t really have too many choices about connecting to them).

1 Like

To all of you, if you are able to help us out, then please step forward.

One of our founding members, Fernando, is going to be less working on EndeavourOS after the November release. So any help is more than welcome.
At this moment, the team has their hands full to implement the regular updates for the November release.
This GeoIP issue is, in the whole picture, the least of our concerns. We need people who are willing to help us with Calamares in general.

9 Likes

For the time being Iā€™ll take this on as a personal project and use it to get an idea of the installer/install process.

8 Likes

Even the longest trek starts with a single step.

Pudge

9 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I, too, avoid all Google products and services so this would be a great move in the right direction away from Google.

Youā€™re not being paranoid, youā€™re making principled decisions about what companies have moral and ethical business practices.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what if this helps (and it may not), but I use:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/geoip/

geoiplookup $(curl -4 v4.ifconfig.co 2> /dev/null)

My bash skills are not good, I have to ā€œGoogleā€ (oops :rofl:) what I want to do all the time :smiley:

I donā€™t know what if this helps (and it may not), but I use:

The problem stays the same on keeping a server 7/7 all the year stable for GeoIP access their website said:

Download Limits

MaxMind reserves the right to limit the number of downloads made within a limited period of time.

geoip 1.6.12-2 package is still in EXTRA repoā€¦

1 Like