Calamares Implementation on Latest Commits is Broken

Following steps here, .iso builds fine, boots fine also! But can’t be installed, Calamares won’t launch.

Error:

liveuser@archiso ~ % sudo calamares                                      :(
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
01:23:49 [2]: WARNING: the branding component "/usr/share/calamares/branding/endeavouros" does not ship translations. 
01:23:49 [2]: WARNING: virtual void Calamares::ViewModule::loadSelf() No factory: "Unknown error" 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "welcome@welcome" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [2]: WARNING: virtual void Calamares::ViewModule::loadSelf() No factory: "Unknown error" 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "locale@locale" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "keyboard@keyboard" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "partition@partition" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "users@users" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "summary@summary" loading FAILED. 
01:23:49 [1]: ERROR: Module "partition@partition" exists but not loaded. 
01:23:49 [0]: ASSERT: "!isEmpty()" in file /usr/include/qt/QtCore/qlist.h, line 366
[1]    1611 abort      sudo calamares

@Bryanpwo
@joekamprad

2 Likes

Thanks for testing, @fernandomaroto is working on a cleaned-up Calamares, he’s trying a version with stuff we only need, and the issue is known. He also tried the regular Calamares and it showed the same error. To be continued…

2 Likes

Sorry to trespass on otherwise natural processes, but would a day or two be enough before attempting another build?

There are no comments on commits.

1 Like

At this moment @fernandomaroto is the guy who can give an answer on this one. Keep in mind that he’s doing this all in-between his regular life and his studies for his job, so it might take a bit longer.
My advice, keep an eye on the commits date/time of uploading.

2 Likes

Sounds perfectly fair, I’ll keep an eye!

Thank you for responding.

2 Likes

Hi!
I’ll add the old compiled version to the repo, so @Computer can keep testing the iso as you want.

I’m sorry for this, but i still don’t know what’s wrong in the latest build, even calamares without any endeavouros config is also giving the same error, i suspect some update coming from arch caused this. I’ll give more tests today.

EDIT: i installed the old calamares on top of the latest iso and it worked, so the problem is possibly related with the way we’re building now or the latest calamares source files.
I added the old calamares to the repo calamares_offline
If you “git pull” your archiso folder this will be set automatically for you.

EDIT2: After some tests i can confirm; latest calamares files cause a failed build, so is not the way we’re building nor arch repo causing this. It’s saturday, i’m sure “cal” devs will take a look when they have time, maybe next week.

1 Like

Prompt updates, thanks!

Quick questions: Can current and offline be installed side-by-side? Keeping both updated, see what happens.

Anything notable difference between them?

EDIT:

Can’t build, calamares_offline is missing.

VirtualBox_babadook

@fernandomaroto.

Hi!
Sorry for the delay, it seems out timezone is very different.

No, they basically have the same files, so to install one you’ll need to uninstall the other, or install using --force option with pacman.

i rebuilt calamares_offline using the version from august iso, it’s weird i couldn’t sign the package. It was in the repo, i just removed it :slight_smile:

Now calamares_current is working, at least i hope :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s the “release candidate” for the next iso, so please test using it.
Any feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

Worked fine. Calamares didn’t crash on second (or third) launch in a session. Failed to “Erase Disk”, used gparted to format. Prior to this, the USB had already been erased.

There are a number of bugs in the session itself. I’ll make separate threads.

Oh yeah, we’re far apart. Respond whenever you have the time, it’s no big deal. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes