Bumblebee can't see AMD integrated gpu

When running lspci | grep -i “vga|3d|display” i get:

*01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c5)

But after installing bumblebee and running bumblebeed command I get: [ERROR]No integrated video card found, quitting.

How can I get this to work? I think my drivers are installed correctly (following NVIDIA and AMD)
Prime-run command also works.
My goal is to turn off the nvidia gpu when it is not needed and to have the least impact on battery life possible. Currently i get around 9 W of power draw with P8 powerstat. Can I get any lower, when using bumblebee and switching to integrated AMD completely?

Are you using Wayland or X11?
I have been using Bumblebee for quite some time on X11, with the upgrade to Plasma 6 and Wayland as default this setup broke.

I did some research and ended up with the conclusion that apparently some things are missing in Wayland and because of the niche nature of prime it’s unlikely this will ever be supported.

I only need the nVidia card when my laptop is docked and connected to multiple monitors, in which case I start in X11 mode and call it a day.

I am on Wayland too. May I ask you, when you are on your battery (and on igfx i suppose) and run nvidia-smi, what power [W] does it show?

I don’t know, how to make sure, I am 100% on igfx and 0% on nvidia. When I run nvidia-smi I see 8 W of power draw. I’ve read, that with no load it should be around 3 W. I would ideally like it to be 0 W if possible, to spare my battery as much as possible.

My hardware may be too old?

lspci | grep -i "vga|3d|display"                                                                                                                                                                          68ms 
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] (rev a2)
3d:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Toshiba Corporation XG6 NVMe SSD Controller

nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

May be caused by noveau or other non-proprietary driver for nvidia installed.

Don’t think so, I got the NVIDIA DKMS drivers installed.
Quite surprisingly optirun works fine, even under Wayland.
So it seems that it’s only multi monitor support which is broken under Wayland.

$ optirun glxspheres64                                                                                                                                                                                     13.8s 
Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
GLX FB config ID of window: 0xdd (8/8/8/0)
Visual ID of window: 0x40
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: Quadro M1000M/PCIe/SSE2
290.560588 frames/sec - 324.265617 Mpixels/sec
270.616976 frames/sec - 302.008546 Mpixels/sec
…

I’ve already fixed the problem meanwhile.

I’ve reinstalled the nvidia, nvidia-utils, mesa-utils package and blacklisted the nouveau driver (this should be done automatically by installing nvidia-utils), which made the nvidia-smi command work again.

Later on I’ve installed the envycontrol, which (surprisingly for hopeless me) was able to completely discard the nvidia gpu via cli (for gnome there is also a handy extension to control it from top bar). When running in hybrid mode I can run prime-run <some_command> to be executed by the nvidia gpu. This is possible thanks to the nvidia-prime package.

Finally I’ve also installed amdgpu_top, which comes with many amd gpu characteristics and a cli interface similar to nvidia-smi, the amdgpu_top --smi.

Now I am able to run purely on my igfx AMD graphics and spare my battery life by approximatelly 20~30%, which is very similar to battery life on Win11 and if I am in need of more power, i can switch back to hybrid mode or pure nvidia mode.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.