Bug with rtl8168 - module stops working after suspend

Hi there.

After installing EndeavourOS, I’ve noticed a bug with rtl8168 module, installed by default. That module stops working after suspend, having no Ethernet as consequence. To solve that issue, I uninstalled rtl8168 module and installed rtl8168-dkms from AUR instead. Now it works flawlessly.

I had prior Arch installations and I’ve never had that issue. I’ve noted that the rtl8168 was not installed in vanilla Arch installs.

Is there any reason why EndeavourOS installs rtl8168 module by default?

Thank you.

yeah, probably my fault. back then the iso installer keeps disconnecting when using default r8169 linux driver (my ethercard is 8168) so they installed r8168 by default to remedy this. BUT after installing EOS, i had to revert to whatever default was and remove this 8168 driver since its had very intermittent transfer rates.

We received complaints that the ISO couldn’t connect through wifi by users with that wifi card, hence we ship it by default. Unnecessary drivers are automatically removed after install, though. Thanks for the bug report, btw.

Hello @euzao
I think the reason was that there were a lot of issues with the r8169 module needing to replace it with r8168. It’s kind of a catch 22 situation i think so the r8169 gets blacklisted. Usually when you have this issue you can try the r8169 but if the dkms version is working for you then no need.

I actually did not know that ethernet worked without r8168.

Just uninstalled dkms and it is working. I try to avoid having an AUR package for such essential matter. Anyway, I hope that that gets fixed in the next ISO. Maybe uninstalling it after installation?

I’m not sure if this is your exact issue but it explains a little bit here under the heading:

Realtek no link / WOL problem

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration/Ethernet#Device_driver

Realtek support in Linux isn’t really well supported, this driver can be bliss for one user and pure havoc for the other. These days an ethernet port is very rare on laptops and most laptop users depend on a wifi connection. That’s the other side of this solution.