"Bug" in Firefox (Caused by Google being Google)

As of today, many many users have experienced that the last 30-40% (bottom half) of Youtube videos on Firefox are white. No picture.

What causes is if you have the fingerprint blocking set to Enabled in FF.
There are two ways to solve this issue:

1. Disable fingerprint blocking
  2. Install Ublock Origin and add this line to your personal filters:
www.youtube.com##.ytp-gradient-bottom

Now, funny enough, not all of us have this issue that have privacy set to “Strict” in FF. I have no idea why mine is not affected, but… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Strange I’m not having this issue either.

1 Like

How many things do you run, tho? I mean extensions?
I was thinking about this this morning; apparently Ublock Origin can fix it by filtering something out. Maybe one of my other extensions already does it?

On top of Ublock Origin (which I have NOT implemented said rule on since I haven’t got that problem) I run:
Privacy Badger
HTTPS Everywhere
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (I know there is a small overlap but it’s not slowing things down)
Decentraleyes
WebRTC
Facebook Container (really should not care for Youtube settings :wink: )
Enhancer For Youtube

It is quite possible one of these actually already block the ytp.gradient element on the Youtube page. That’s why I am wondering if we have something in common?

I only have two extensions and they aren’t ad blockers. I know of Ublock origin, Facebook container, HTTPS Everywhere, the others not so much as i haven’t used them. I’m only using Youtube downloader and video downloader as extensions.

I have DNS over HTTPS set in Network settings.
Edit: also notification settings i have blocked.

1 Like