Bspwm edition

My intention for i3-wm, was the same as yours in the starting :wink:
A minimal working setup to start with, but i see already after the first questions from users that a lot of them using it as it is, without changing much, so i try to keep it simple but extend it to the needs for a Desktop user, now it is more a full Desktop environment rather then a purist WM setup.

Also in addition, there van be 23 different BSPWM setups you can install as Community Editions from EndeavourOS thatā€™s the main idea for the Community Editions all together, also we still working on the full implementation.

4 Likes

Is there some reason you canā€™t remove ā€˜unneededā€™ packages from the install list, thus having the ISO you wanted? I donā€™t think the ā€˜Community Editionā€™ setup is limited to one choice per DE or WMā€¦

1 Like

Well Bspwm comes with a config on only 8 lines - the rest is up to the user to make their own. When we start to make choices for them I think we move away from what bspwm spould be - and move mpore topwards arco and manjaro - one size and all that. But if that what ppl want itā€™s all good - I have what I wanted from bspwm. Bspwm doesnā€™t come with even a browser or a terminal - this is things you have to install yourself . Itā€™s a window manager nothing more

Yes I see and understand that - but to me that is wrong. I think it should be minimal and the users should make them their own cjoices. Itā€™s not a DE with all the bells ad whisltles. A wm only handles the look and position of windows - nothing more - you want a terminal install it - community editions installs for you instead of the user discovers their own fav terminal. In 95 % of the cases they stick to what was installed and donā€™t go explore anthing. IMHO they could just stick to a DE then. That being said - one must also know ones audience - who are this for? if itā€™s for ppl who just want to try what this is ok. But if the intention is to get people to use it the wm should be as minimal as possible. This is just my opinion ofc - and Iā€™m not claiming to be right.

1 Like

easier to just install Arch and get my dotfiles from git. in toatl it takes me 12-15 miutes
There should be no packages at all if I had my will - besides bspwm and sxhkd the rest should be up to the user

A perfectly viable POV - but not exactly what fits here I would say. Those who want it that way can already have it - but here we try to make it a usable experience OOTB. Not loaded, but the basics are there and are known to work togetherā€¦

Thatā€™s the idea, anyway :grin:

1 Like

Hello @anon77235960
Good to see you here. Hope youā€™re doing okay (and catching up on enough sleep!)

Iā€™ll agree that bspwm edition didnā€™t turn out to be totally minimal. That was my complain with the i3 edition until March.

I had come only to add that polybar config. Somewhere down the line, I got more involved with the project. I didnā€™t want the edition to become opiniated - they were not my dotfiles; they were EndeavourOS Bspwm edition dotfiles. So, I also wanted to justify the ā€œEndeavourOSā€ tag. If I ship a near empty config file, then the edition would have lost public appeal. Anyone can download the default config files and run them. Why would they go through installing our distro?

This distro is not intended for beginners. Yet Endeavour gives an installation that you can start using right away, without having to spend much time configuring the internals. Its at the crossroad where ease meets a power user. You want an Arch base, but donā€™t want to do that install. You want a usable graphical desktop set up. Yes you can use scripts to do that on Arch too, but does everyone have a script (or a reliable source for script that suits their needs)? I decided to create something that was like the i3 edition. Not bloated, but not minimal. Utilities bundled up to make life easier.

I do understand your point, that if we ship a very minimal config, users will have a blank canvas to paint their imagination. I simply asserted that if someone wants to do that, they can very easily replace our dotfiles with a minimal starter config. Thats what I do with i3. I never ran i3 edition as my daily driver. Its not for me. I paint my own configs.

One size certainly does not fill all, but you need to give something in the edition. About the compassion with Manjaro, thats not something I can comment on. If you think thereā€™s something I can learn/un-learn from that, do tell me. Iā€™ll install in a separate partition use for a while.

2 Likes

From a non WM user and Arch and mainly (EndeavourOS) user that doesnā€™t have most of the skills that a lot of others responding i can tell you this. I like the i3 version currently the way it is set up. I have tried Bspwm and i also like it too but i find the I3 for myself easier. Because Iā€™m not working mostly in the terminal i find the way i can open windows and move between windows back and forth or placing a window in another place is good. In Bspwm i still donā€™t have a grasp on positioning and moving windows within windows. Because itā€™s not something that a lot of users of DE do so for a new user of a WM this takes some thought and sometimes Iā€™m not sure what I want to do and even if i do it doesnā€™t always work the way i think itā€™s going to when i do it. I think the i3 concept is the right approach. I still have a lot to learn.

Edit: This doesnā€™t even get into the configs of it which i donā€™t have much knowledge either. So for new users of WMā€™s thereā€™s a lot to learn.

3 Likes

the hing with bspwm id that you dont actually need to edit configs, Ǝn a terminal you can write
bspc config border_width 6 and it changes instaantly if you like it you add it to the config
bspc config focued:border_color ā€˜#600600ā€™ etc etc
in man bspc you can see the optons you have. if you use zsh it even auto completes for you
bspc config
2021-05-16-140526_1398x941_scrot
(sorry for the scrot issue . I someties forget to use maim

If you wirte a command wirhout a value irt will show you the value you use atm
2021-05-16-140912_1384x915_scrot

This is things you add to the configs when you need it . not everyone need all that. I for one donā€™t use a mouse so all mouse related stuff I exclude . Itā€™ssjust sbout finding what works for you, Bspc to try things is genious tho

3 Likes

Bspwm comes with nothing absolutely nothing - with a minimal install I mean include a browser a terimal an editor - and maybe a gtk file manager as ranger and the likess can be intiamditng at first. Then let the user decide what to install - which mudc player - which video player and so on

1 Like

Thats one of the things I wanted to avoid.

Again, it looks like we both have different opinions about the editionsā€¦

We donā€™t have a music player, and a video player seems a necessity to me. You may want to check if video is working right for your system. As I said earlier, if the user cares, they can do a custom install, or remove celluloid in favor of different player if they like.

1 Like

always easier to insall than to remove, A program has a lot of configs and you have to find and remove them as well. I once turned a Manjaro into Arch and I used weks to unistall all majaro related stuff

For the most part I think I and you are on the same page tho - we would like to see the sae end result

1 Like

@anon77235960 you may want to check out this post

2 Likes

:pray: for bump

no many people here use Pinebook Pro (ARM) I think if some one do + try EOS bspwm they find the keyboard brightness function key no work , then come to this thread ! that why i post here .

You need do this

sudo pacman -S brightnessctl

then in ~/.config/sxhkd/sxhkdrc

you need change to

# Brightness up
XF86MonBrightnessUp
  brightnessctl -c backlight set +5%

# And brightness down
XF86MonBrightnessDown
 brightnessctl -c backlight set 5%-

Again :pray: for bump

4 Likes