Broken boot after update, cant mount in order to chroot

Hi,

After I just updated I cant boot, the computer just loops from bios to bios, never any sign of linux booting.

I have run the following commands:

sudo cryptsetup open /dev/nvme0n1p2 crypto_LUKS
[liveuser@eos-2024.01.25 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypto_LUKS -o subvol=@ /mnt
[liveuser@eos-2024.01.25 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/efi
[liveuser@eos-2024.01.25 ~]$ sudo arch-chroot /mnt

And this is the strange part, they work, but only partially. After I have chrooted it seems part of my old system is mounted but my home folder does not have my user folder. also /var/cache/pacman is empty. However strangely in the /mnt/ folder I can see folder names for the mountpoints from when the installation worked.

If I instead decrypt the drive with KDE Partition manager and mount the drive using it suddenly I get folders named, @, @cache, @home and @log in the live os /mnt.

In @home my user folder exists and all the files are there and accessible so it is not a hardware error.

Why is my command line mount/chroot not working when KDE Partition manager clearly can mount it so that all files are accessible? The problem is KDE Partition manager mounts in such a strange way I dont think I can use chroot with it. I am hoping to be able to have a working chroot so that I can run pacman -Syu or downgrade the nvidia driver (I have no idea what broke during the update).

Can anyone help me figure this out?

That is normal. You only mounted @. You didn’t mount the rest of the subvolumes.

In a chroot, you usually don’t need the rest of those things to rescue your system.

Although, if you want to mount them you can. Like this:

sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypto_LUKS -o subvol=@ /mnt
sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypto_LUKS -o subvol=@home /mnt/home
sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypto_LUKS -o subvol=@log /mnt/var/log
sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypto_LUKS -o subvol=@cache /mnt/var/cache
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/efi
sudo arch-chroot /mnt

Thank you, I will try that. But the reason I asked the help here on the endeavour os literally states to check if the user folder exists after chrooting in order to confirm that everything works:

And the guide does not mention needing to mount individual paths.

I guess I’m worried that i make break something even more if I dont mount correctly.

So I can try running sudo pacman -Syu after I have followed your instructions?

Yes, you should be fine.

That is probably not the best way to check for accuracy. We need to update that wiki.

Thank you so much! I just ran sudo pacman -Syu in chroot and now I can boot into my system again!

1 Like