Booting Fails after install

Normally you add vmd to the modules section in mkinitcpio and then run mkinitcpio -p. Also in the default grub entry you would add a kernel parameter

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

add

MODULES=vmd

Run mkinitcpio -p

/etc/default/grub

add

nvme_load=YES

Then run

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Normally you would turn off RST in UEFI and set drives to ahci but because you have Windows installed that can mess things up there. I forget what the procedure is to get around that so it doesn’t cause havoc. So i would just leave that for now and try this first. It may work with Raid enabled but may not also.

Edit: Changing to ahci can cause you to have to reinstall Windows. That’s why I’m not recommending doing that. Try without changing that in the UEFI Bios for now.

Not sure why the characters in the output link?

12RAID:      12Hardware-1 Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller 12driver vmd 12v 0.6 
           12port 3000 12bus-ID 0000:00:0e.0 12chip-ID 8086.9a0b 12rev 12class-ID 0104 

oh I don’t want windows I thought I had cleared out that entire partition. also with

do I add that to the mkinitcpio.conf?

Doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Leftover efi boot entry from a previous install it seems.

Perhaps the disk can be set to AHCI and a renistall?

No you add the kernel parameter to the default grub file and then update grub with the command.

/etc/default/grub
add after “quiet”

nvme_load=YES

save the file

Then update grub with

I thought Windows was installed. But since it isn’t he can change the settings in Bios to turn off RST and set drives to ahci mode.

Edit: Plus make the other changes and it should see the drive.

Yes, I guess this should do.

@hillbillyGothic
Do you need help with making the changes?

Yes

Start with going into your UEFI bios and see if you can set RST off and change the drive mode to achi from raid.

Edit: Tell me when you have done that.

1 Like

I was able to swithc to AHCI/NVMe I think RST gets turned off automaticallly with that setting

1 Like

Then use a text editor such as nano

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

add to the modules section

MODULES=“vmd”

To save the file

ctrl + o then enter

To exit

ctrl + x

Run

mkinitcpio -p (not sure if you need sudo here?)

Then you need to add to the default grub file

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

add after “quiet” in the default grub command line

nvme_load=YES

To save the file

ctrl + o then enter

To exit

ctrl + x

Then update grub

Then reboot.

I think this fixed it because I rebooted after that and it was able to load the OS

1 Like

On some hardware in UEFI Bios RST has to be physically set to off. On others it is like you say that it gets turned off automatically when changing from Raid mode to AHCI.

So it booted up to EndeavourOS? What desktop is installed? Is it the only OS you have installed then?

Edit: Hopefully all is working. :thinking:

Yes! it is the BSPWM desktop, and yes it is the only OS I have installed

Excellent! Welcome to EndeavourOS. Hope your journey has been fullfilled! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Just a kind message. If one of the posts solved your issue. Mark that post as the solution which will make this thread close in 2 days and it’ll help anyone else having a similar problem to identify the answer quickly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.