Booted to a blinking cursor. No TTY available

This is not a problem but a sharing:

Yesterday I casually restarted my Thinkpad X380 just to boot to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Trying to get into TTY was a bit… “funny” pressing CTRL+ALT+Fx was showing a login screen for a split second and then returning to the black screen with the blinking cursor. No keyboard input was taken into this split second.

Fx*#! I was prepare to chroot and to attempt and update, or to replace some packages or to see if by mistake I have any nvidia drivers installed (google was pointing in that direction).

I do not know why I thought to check a ncdu and a gparted only to discover that my / is full… with… pacman cache…

needless to say that deleting the contents of the cache folder solved the problem. Now I only need to investigate why this was not automatically emptied… :slight_smile:

I hope this will help somebody, someday

p.s. my install is already circa 1,5 year old…

paccache is the CLI command for managing the size of pacman package cache.
And you can automate this with a systemd service using a command
paccache-service-manager or some similar tool.

Although the solution is simple, I do not understand why this service is not activated in the first place. I ran into the same problem - something that is so likely to render the system unusable (for searching, you’d need another running OS/PC) disqualifies Endeavour-OS as daily driver for the average user without rather good linux knowledge…

It is activated in the first place. I believe the default is to keep 3 package versions and to prune more than that on a weekly basis.

If you want to prune more aggressively you can either change the settings in /usr/lib/systemd/system/paccache.timer, or you can do it right in the handy GUI tool that is built in to the EOS welcome app.

1 Like