Boot speed from (via GRUB) USB 3.2 2x1/3.1 1x2

Hello EndeavorOS community!

I’ve recently taken a great liking to EOS (also my first venture into Arch territory as well) and have been installing it on all of my PCs. I’ve come so far as to ‘even’ be able to chroot and fix boot failures after doing stupid things like running mkinitcpio for example. There’s so many reasons for which I’m liking it, but the way I’m finding every problem I run into on the Arch and EndeavourOS forums, the quality of repository/package maintenance, the speed of adaptation to new kernels/bugs and community engagement(!!!) really astound me. I wish this type of thing was around when I was a young man (now 38).

In the words of Harvey Keitel in Reservoir Dogs though…‘let’s not start sucking each other’s d+++s quite yet’…I ran into a problem for which I couldn’t find an answer to, in the end. I got so psyched about EOS (and so disgusted by M++++soft) that I I’d prefer to have it with me at all times.
So I bought a Kingston XS2000 external SSD, and I’d like to be able to boot this everywhere and on every hardware. Now, the speed of the drive, up until the USB 3.2 Gen 2 2x1 I’ve tried, is way beyond what I expected it to be.

But the time the GRUB (installed along with EOS) is taking before I start to see the kernel loading is like…minutes. It’s a loss of time at home and it makes my face turn red when I try to boot on someone else’s system.
I’m currently running the Kingston drive via the 3.1 Gen 2 USB-A port of a B450M TUf plus, file system of the EFI partition is FAT32, EOS is ext4, boot is via CSM I assume, for it does not appear as a bootable device in BIOS set to UEFI boot.
I tried multiple settings on multiple motherboards (up to b550 Tuf) and nothing seems to help.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Knows how to fix this?

Edit: UEFI → EFI & spelling.

Did you install it in Bios mode (dos)? If it’s a Tuf B450M it is UEFI. You have to have secure boot disabled and also CSM and set to UEFI only. You have to make sure the ISO boots in UEFI mode so it doesn’t install in Bios mode(dos).

It’s not an iso. it’s an operating system installed on an SSD, connected via USB. The B550 wasn’t able to boot through UEFI either…but maybe it’s just this mobo but it’s the only I have. Thank you.

Edit: i.e. not SATA 6G. SATA works beautifully every time. But the speed of this USB drive inside OS is 1000x.

Edit 2: I have prefered MBR in the past, but I’ve decided to go with the times (7 years after) and now go EFI and grub. (installed EOS via USB stick with the OS iso on a UEFI stick)

I meant when you installed it. You have to make sure that the settings are secure boot disabled, csm disabled set to UEFI only so that the ISO would boot and install in UEFI not Bios or dos mode. The B450M board is UEFI.

I will try this, maybe I this will fix it. Thank you.I kinda got booted from the forum already so (shared some yotube? Idunno)…well thanks I’ll just be looking in from outside. Thanks dude!

Couldn’t get rid of it. I’m running it on the Asus TUf B550-plus’ USB 3.1 Gen 2 and pure UEFI boot, kernel 4.8.2. It does seem a bit faster this way but it may be my imagination.

Out of curiosity, what kernel is that?

Please post inxi -Faxxxz

t’s Linux 6.4.8-arch1-1 x86_64

I thought I knew by heart.