Boot issue

follow the wiki article I posted you, I think you must’ve exited the chroot environment. Could you tell me how old your hardware is?

Around 9 years. HP Compaq 515. AMD CPU and 3GB RAM

Do you by chance know if your using efi or bios? On the other hand you’ve chrooted with the efi instructions before, so repeat those steps.

This is ancient one and using BIOS. No UFEI at all. I have booted through GRUB4DOS.

Now downloading linux-lts. I will let you know the status

To chroot follow the first 4 steps in this article:

https://endeavouros.com/docs/system-rescue/repair-grub-with-bios-legacy-system/

then perform pacman -Syyu and then follow the lts kernel steps.

To be clear the boot partition is the smallest one around 512 mb.

1 Like

Guru, Thank you very much. As instructed by you. I have not mounted the proper boot directory and also not done chroot. Hence as you told, the update was around 1GB. After doing the mounting and chroot as instructed by you, the pacman -Syu was just 19MB. After that I have installed Kernel-LTs. Still my installation was hanging while booting I am almost decided to re-installation of EOS. After a while with God grace, I have accidentally inspected the menu entry of Grub4Dos. Here it was still loading old kernel. I have appended Lts at end of Kernel as well as in inframs entry. Saved and restarted. To my excitement, my lovely EOS booted without issue. Actually I am so much delighted, I was thinking to re-install again. You have saved my time and effort. Moreover, it was very good learning experience. i don’t have words to express my gratitude to you Sir.
After loading LTS, I have checked any update. Shown again new kernel update 5.7.4 and taking some risk and updated to new Kernel 5.7.4. However, this time no issue at all. Smooth sailing. Now I am posting here after updating to new Kernel 5.7.4. Thanks once again for your timely help and support.

5 Likes

Your welcome! (And you don’t have to call me sir, no standing on ceremonies over here :wink:)

2 Likes

Try running sudo pacman Syyu before trying to install the lts kernel.

I think the issue has been resolved. I had the same error after booting up and by the time I managed to make a liveiso to be able to chroot in, the updates I was able to run resolved the error when I rebooted. I think I’ll install and keep the lts kernel around though, probably could have saved me some trouble.

2 Likes

Is it possible to use Lts kernel when similar issues arise?. The Lts kernel still in boot directory. How to preserve the same future rescue operation.

You can have both the current kernel and the lts kernel installed and boot into which ever one you want.

2 Likes

Issue already resolved. See my post No. 28.

I see that you said that now. I misunderstood your post initially, sorry!

1 Like