Bluetooth headset profile goes to Off

I’ve just set up my new rig withe the following:

Ryzen 5950x, Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula.

I’ve installed EndeavourOS with i3wm (and for some reason had gnome and kde selected as well). Now, my headset is the Sony XM4-1000H. I’m looking to connect this over LDAC like I do with my laptop running Arch (that was Antergos… set up in 2015… still running strong).

I’ve got the following installed:

bluez, bluez-utils, ofono, pulseaudio-modules-bt

I’ve used bluutoothctl to pair, trust, and connect the headset. It can connect, although that seems a LOT slower than on the laptop. On the latter, it’s 1-2 seconds, whereas now, it’s easily 15-30 seconds, and often just keeps failing until I reboot.

A bigger issue is that if I monitor pactl list while it’s connecting, I see that it first connects to the a2dp_sink_ldac profile; it’s shown as the “active” profile, and pactl list shows that it is available. However, as it’s connecting, it switches to unavailable and the active profile becomes “Off”. All the profiles are shown in blueman, but selecting ldac doesn’t change it; it keeps saying that it failed to set the profile to a2dp_sink_ldac. In journalctl, I see the following:

pulseaudio[2095]: Using LDAC library: version: 2.00.02
bluetoothd[1202]: profiles/audio/avdtp.c:cancel_request() Suspend: Connection timed out (110)
bluetoothd[1202]: profiles/audio/avdtp.c:cancel_request() Suspend: Connection timed out (110)
bluetoothd[1202]: profiles/audio/avdtp.c:cancel_request() Abort: Connection timed out (110)
dbus-daemon[720]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.60" (uid=1000 pid=2095 comm="/usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no --log-target=jo") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.12" (uid=0 pid=1202 comm="/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd ")
bluetoothd[1202]: src/device.c:search_cb() 94:DB:56:4F:31:A0: error updating services: Connection refused (111)

I’ve tried various things like setting AutoEnable, registering the uuid of ldac in bluetoothctl, but I don’t really know what I’m doing here. If anybody could point the way, I’d be grateful.

Argh… right after I post… turns out my Lian-Li 011 DLX case is a Faraday Cage, and connecting the alien-esque external wifi antenna that came with the motherboard results in a far more stable connection, and bluetooth audio over a2dp works perfectly. The issues were due to the very weak signal without the antenna.

Have you tried pulseaudio-modules-bt

Yup… already had it.

But the issue was entirely hardware, as mentioned above. Attaching the motherboard external antenna fixed it.

That would do it! No to low signal = no connection or dropped connection! :wink: