Blocked on how to drop to a TTY to start sway and wayland

I have endeavour OS with gnome and i3 installed

I wanted to try wayland with hyprland or sway, and I found this very useful guide
https://www.fosskers.ca/en/blog/wayland

however, after doing the initial package installation, I am stuck at the very basic step:

Now exit whatever desktop environment / window manager you’re in, and drop down to your basic login terminal. From here, run sway and Sway should start. Congratulations, you’re running Wayland!

I can “Log out” of gnome or i3 and get to the login screen, but I don’t know how to get down to a “basic login terminal”

Thanks for the help in advance, and I am sorry if this is very basic

EDIT: I also found this thread

And I don’t know if that is what I should be following instead?

ctrl+alt+f3 should take you to a TTY.

thanks for the suggestion

Unfortunately, when I hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 I’m taken to a black screen that says something about

/dev/sda2, abc/xyz files, abc/xyz blocks

but then I am stuck with no way to go back to my GDE or to really do anything and I have to force shutdown (using the physical power button) and restart

You need to press the enter key to login prompt typically.

You can also switch back with ctrl+alt+f1 or one of the other f keys depending on the DM you are using.

You should never force power off.

Just select the WM from the DM (GDM?).

You need to press the enter key to login prompt typically.
You can also switch back with ctrl+alt+f1 or one of the other f keys depending on the DM you are using.

both of these dont seem to have any effect and the PC just seems “locked” :confused:

Just select the WM from the DM (GDM?).

I have not seen it show up. How can I configure Wayland / Sway / Hyprland to show up in the login screen? (currently only Gnome, i3 & XFCE show up)

I think I know what my problem is:

Note that gdm3 does not show entries in /usr/share/wayland-sessions if your host runs with a proprietary NVIDIA driver. The proprietary NVIDIA driver does not support Wayland. However, the free nouveau driver does.

I play a lot of games, so I’ll have to read a bit about nouveau to see if it would be ok for me to switch to it

Or try SDDM?