Black Screen on Boot Up that Never reaches Login screen

I did a fresh install of EndeavourOS in a vm and it seems it’s part of the default installation, from the endeavoros repo.

endeavouros/downgrade 11.3.0-1 [installed]

3 Likes

fwiw I see alot of guys on other forums saying same issues with the new arch kernels

I don’t have an amdgpu but I have switched to the lts kernel since most of the new features in each new kernel release aren’t noticeable for most people and if they are most likely noticeable for amdgpu users. Also there will eventually come a newer lts kernel where those features will be included in as well, so unless there is a really good reason to start using the normal kernel again the lts kernel is just fine for me.

1 Like

Usually a kernel bug fix like this takes how long? days, weeks or couple months you guess?

It depends on the bug, but I’ve seen new kernels updated within days, also I’ve haven’t experienced any recent bugs that the newer kernels had with Nvidia.

ya…seems at the moment the amd based laptops are having more problems

Looks like there was an update from 6.4.3.arch1-1 to 6.4.3.arch1-2.

I’ve booted 3x now, without any issues. Might be resolved.

1 Like

Are you on a non-AMD laptop? I think some people are still having issues here

So far this new round of updates seems to have fixed it so long as I just boot up regularly without selecting a specific different kernel from the alternative kernel types. I just reg boot into 6.4.3-zen1-2-zen and things work fine. But it’s clear that several other people are having issues so I’m going to keep the thread active until someone has a more definitive solution or until we know that the issue has been addressed with more recent updates.

Desktop, with AMD RX 6600XT.

Check and update the UEFI bios.

Look around here guys, I don’t have too much time, but there are similar issues https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues

1 Like

found something that looks like my problem https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2658
they say the fix is available in 6.4.4

I will wait a day or two with 6.4.4, because of this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=287343

1 Like

you have nvidia gpu also?

(I’m on CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 3.200GHz , GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series , GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile )

looks like 6.4.4 fixed it for me, now it even boots faster and logging is faster too.

2 Likes

Ya I just happen to see here just mentioned also 6.4.4 has resolved alot issues… will do a clone back up then try it later tonight. Thanks for reminder.

1 Like

Given the pattern so far I’m going to give 6.4.4 a little more time before marking it the solution.

Everything is ok for me now on Kernel: 6.4.6-arch1-1

Things seem to be working here as well. I’m going to mark the solution as the power of updates!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.