So, for the last year or more I have been dealing with a strange issue on my primary workstation. Basically, after running for some time(typically 3-5 days), certain applications start demonstrating graphical inconsistencies. These would manifest in a series of ways but generally were all related to refresh in some way. The most common things were flashing or simply not refreshing at all without outside interference.
- It impacted many applications including fixefox, vivaldi, vmware, sayonara-player, latte-dock and thunderbird
- There were no messages of interest in the journal when the issue occurred
- There was no general performance issues, it only impacted one specific application at a time
- Restarting the application would resolve the issue for a time
- I dual-boot on this machine and it happened in both Arch and Fedora
- It happened in a variety of different kernel versions at least as far back as 5.4
After feeling like I had tried everything else, I tried replacing latte-dock with a plasma panel and my machine has been running for 10 days with no issues at all.
I still have no idea what the issue actually was or how latte-dock could have caused it.