Better looking Grub?

And another thing that didn’t work for me, the fonts remain huge…

then resolution is not valid maybe?

sudo hwinfo --framebuffer

shows valid resolutions

fonts in grub needs to be implemented to work, i do not get this working here also…

http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php?title="Font_creation_guide"&action=edit&redlink=1

Just a quick note on grub-customizer, it doesn’t apply the grub-tools fixes that @manuel created because it creates it’s own 30_os-prober file (called proxy) so grub-fix-initrd-generation fails to find it.

So, definitely avoid it if you dual-boot (I have 2 EOS’s) and need grub-tools to enable booting to the 2nd.

2 Likes

@joekamprad I tried:

sudo grub-mkfont -s 14 -b -o /boot/grub/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/droid/DroidSans-Bold.ttf
sudo grub-mkfont -s 14 -a -b -o /boot/grub/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/droid/DroidSans-BoldN.ttf
sudo grub-mkfont -s 14 -a -b -o /boot/grub/fonts/FiraCode-Bold.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/TTF/FiraCode-Bold.ttf 

Then edited & updated grub, no discernable difference.

BTW that link:

The screen res is 1366x768.
This is what I filled in after GRUB_GFXMODE=

sudo hwinfo --framebuffer shows nothing.

hwinfo not installed?

i do see this here also… i do try different themes from AUR, some are using the fonts, but most of them seem to use default instead.

Yes, got it installed.
Hwinfo works fine, only the framebuffer option shows nothing.

intel graphics then… https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#915resolution_hack

on Grub appears , see commands ( help list all commands )
you can see videomode accepted on start grub ( it can be lower as limitation bios resolution )
before video card take control

type videoinfo

Thank you @joekamprad,

I followed this and changed:

GRUB_GFXMODE=Auto
To:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080

And Commented:
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
To:
#GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt

I then hit CTRL+o to write, Enter to save, and CTRL+x to exit.

Works a peach. Much better.

3 Likes

may we should remove EndeavourOS-Grub-Theme from default installs? :wink:

5 Likes

Not that I dislike it but we do offer the option to not include the default desktop theme :man_shrugging:
edit. I am really obsessive with visuals in case no one noticed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just makes more sense during the boot since every thing is black and white grub might as well be too.

2 Likes

User’s choice, I say. :wink:

3 Likes

that’s true

4 Likes

Absolutely! It seems frivolous and playful to me. But that’s just IMHO.

If the grub theme is disabled, it should be possible to uninstall it completely, right?

sure it is a package and can be uninstalled…

2020-08-16_19-59

my grub with only background set in grub…

or endeavouros-styled:
2020-08-16_20-28

4 Likes