Laptop Battery Maintenance

@fbodymechanic

Hey, I am from this thread Should I dual boot endeavour on laptop? .
I can’t reply there as the thread is closed. This is an awesome guide, but is there something you have to do in terms of maintenance for battery in laptop? I heard that DE takes care of battery as they come with tools, etc. So if I want to use a window manager, what should I do?
Also I think that mouse acceleration is on by default. Just informing as you might wanna add that to the guide.
Thank you!

I am talking about maintenance of battery…

I personally use battery charging parameters for my laptops. This helps keep the cycle counts lower.

One setup in KDE on one of my computers. It’s right in tht settings. I have it set to start charging at 40% with a max of 90%. Note that updates have changed this on me a few times.

I use ideapad mode on my legion from the gnome extensions site. Since my big Lenovo legion is almost always plugged in, I have it set to charge up 60% always and it just stays there.

I’m my old Dell had it available straight in the firmware. Depending on your model you might be able to use tlpui? Or it could just be in your firmware.

If the computer is old, there may be nothing you can do.

Where? I must be blind :smiley:

Kde? Advanced power I believe, provided your computer is capable of it.

Lenovo Legion:

I use Gnome on my Legion and the https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4331/ideapad-mode/ extension for my Lenovo Legion.

This is what I have on my T480s:

Screenshot_20220731_072555

This is my Lenovo Legion - Looks like you should be able to set charging parameters in TLPUI

Screenshot from 2022-07-31 07-31-22

1 Like

Tried, got an error:

sudo systemctl status tlp
Alias tip: status tlp
● tlp.service - TLP system startup/shutdown
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tlp.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Sun 2022-07-31 14:55:16 BST; 20s ago
       Docs: https://linrunner.de/tlp
    Process: 1256 ExecStart=/usr/bin/tlp init start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 1256 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 194ms

Jul 31 14:55:15 xircon-legion systemd[1]: Starting TLP system startup/shutdown...
Jul 31 14:55:16 xircon-legion tlp[1256]: Applying power save settings...done.
Jul 31 14:55:16 xircon-legion tlp[1256]: Error in configuration at STOP_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0="80": conservation mode not specified or invalid (must be 0 or 1). Skipped.
Jul 31 14:55:16 xircon-legion tlp[1256]: Setting battery charge thresholds...done.
Jul 31 14:55:16 xircon-legion systemd[1]: Finished TLP system startup/shutdown.

Thank you for your reply!
So besides taking care of charging start and end percent, there is nothing to do right? As I am thinking to not install desktop environment which handles lots of stuff for user.

@sradjoker I don’t know why the comment was moved. That post was about system maintenance and not updating system. Updating just happens to be a part of maintaining the system.

Yes, but your question is about battery and not system maintenance, so its OT.
Also, the creator of the thread @fbodymechanic asked your posts to be moved because he also felt this should be in a new post.

STOP_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0=1

0=off , 1 = on
Edit: How long does your laptop lasts with light use?

Never tried it, always plugged in.

1 Like

I think I got it from the AUR → tlpui. I don’t think it comes with EOS by default.

There’s a lot of things you can or should do, but lots of folks disagree with them. Unlike updating which is pretty universal across the board there’s a lot more variability with maintaining batteries, if you even have them.

It was moved because it didn’t belong in the other thread. System maintenance of the OS, not physical hardware.

1 Like

I tried pacman -S tlp, but one package was in conflict. And i could change to battery saver mode, so i think there is some power management by default.

EnOS ships power-profiles-daemon.
I am not sure though if it is enabled by default. Depends on the DE, I guess. In GNOME it gets enabled by default. Perhaps in KDE Plasma too.

1 Like

Probably. I use this:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&SeB=nd&K=tlpui&outdated=&SB=p&SO=d&PP=50&submit=Go

1 Like

It is enabled by default on i3 too. I don’t remember what was the default option but I changed it to battery saver from the status bar. Don’t know which one’s better though, tlp or battery saver option.

TLP seems to be much more customizable.

Perhaps try one for a certain amount of time using your system as you normally do and observe the battery life. Switch to the other and do the same. That would give you an idea which one is more suited to your use case.

1 Like