BASIC Question/Comment

I have a question and a comment.

1. Recently two commands ( yay -R $(pacman -Qmq) and yay -R $(pacman -Qmq) ) were posted on the forum; these remove ALL AUR packages at once.

As distro-specific EndeavourOS packages are included with the AUR packages (when one lists those packages), will those commands remove EndeavourOS-specific packages along with the AUR packages?

1. I have written about this before. When we boot EndeavousOS, we see the kernel(s) installed as Linux-linux and Linux-LTS-lts (or something similar - I just can’t remember how they actually appear). Manjaro, just as one example, shows the actual version of the Linux kernels installed and available for booting.

I really wish that EndeavourOS would do the same. I know that it is certainly easy to determine the kernel versions installed but it would be much more convenient, in my opinion, to show it (or them) at boot.

Thank you for your consideration and for any replies.

Lawrence

It shouldn’t since the AUR and EndeavourOS are separate repos. It should be said that using commands like this without knowing what you are doing can break your system. The easiest way to be sure would be to got to the arch linux website https://www.archlinux.org/ head on over to the AUR tab and search each package there. This way you can go though the list of dependencies (both hard and optional) associated with each package you are attempting to remove.

Arch linux (EndeavourOS) does not equal manajro linux and they make several customizations on top of the arch linux base. It’s really apples to oranges to be honest. This being a terminal oriented arch linux based distro, comes with the assumption users are used to knowing what state their system is in. If you are diligent in paying attention to what you are updating, as well as updating frequently with back ups, you already know what version you have installed of a given kernel. A fully updated system will run the latest version of any kernel that can be found on the same arch linux site I mention previously. That being said I agree it’s a convenient option. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for this reply. I should have made it clear that I have absolutely no intention at this time of using either of those two commands which would remove the AUR packages. I just asked for my own information.

Lawrence

1 Like

To be clear, that doesn’t remove all AUR packages. It removes all packages not in the current repos. So, it may remove things which aren’t AUR packages if they aren’t in the repos.

In Manjaro, the kernel version is actually part of the name of the kernel. In EOS/Arch, the kernel names stay constant. This has both advantages and disadvantages.

Where are you trying to see the kernel version? There may be another way to make that happen.

1 Like

I guess you are referring to the grub menu at boot?

As far as I know, grub does not support showing kernel versions. (Or if it does, it is poorly documented…).

But the kernel version info at boot entries is possible to add manually.
For example, you can copy some of the menuentry’s from file /boot/grub/grub.cfg into a new file /boot/grub/custom.cfg. (Must do that with elevated privileges.)

In that new file you can manually edit the menuentry headers to your liking.

Note that adding this new file changes nothing dramatic in your system, so don’t be afraid.
The only difference is that, in addition to the old ones, you’ll see new, more informative menu entries at boot time. :wink:

1 Like

By default grub shown the kernel binary’s file name. To show a different file name, you’ll have to compile the kernel with different configuration options. Manjaro does that. But EndeavourOS team has no plans for that afaik (It’s also quite unnecessary tbh).

EDIT: If you really want to, you can configure the initramfs to show the kernel version for a brief moment there on boot :wink:

When I boot my computer, in the initial GRUB menu, I see Linux linux and Linux-lts linux-lts along with their respective fallback versions). I have always thought that it would be nice if the menu showed the Linux and Linux-lts installed versions which can be selected for booting.

This is certainly NOT important; it is easy to determine the versions available. It’s just that I think it would be a nice feature if it could be incorporated by the developers without necessitating their going through a lot of hoops. That’s all.

Lawrence

you install AKM

but it could be possible to use a script to include kernel version as name for boot entry

You could also use a pacman hook so it was all automated.

1 Like

but may we overkill hooking everything :clown_face:

1 Like

i do only think it will be nice to solve the strange naming on grub menu showing EndeavourOS linux linux with linux on linux

1 Like

You probably can already guess MY solution… an option to boot from rEFInd :grin:

Isn’t it rather the name defined in menuentry in the GRUB’s config?