Bash History Not Working

Honestly, my old brain cant remeber for sure.
But anyway, I think it can be done somehow by adding something to ~/.bashrc

Isn’t that exactly the same as what you now have bound to up-arrow? You could bind it to right-arrow as well. But why not just use up-arrow?

Up arrow is working fine. I am OK… I am just asking for more (though I am full). Sorry.
I am more than satisfied with my current system status.

I am just trying to understand what the difference is. Isn’t what you are asking for exactly the same as what you already have?

If you just want it on more keys you can add binds for it.

No big difference at all. It is just like RFID pull door handle or finger print to open the door!
I am OK.

To be clear, I am not complaining, I am just trying to understand.

There are lots of ways auto-completion can work. So is what you are asking literally the same thing on an additional key or is it something more/different?

Actually we do nowadays.
If I remember correctly, in some of the first ISO releases we didn’t have bash-completion package by default.

You could use more than one time the up-arrow key, it goes to the next command that starts the same.

I assure you I am sure of this. I know you for almost a month now!

Yes… it is the same thing on a different key.
The only difference it “expects” the rest of the command. It just gives me a feeling of a “smart” Bash, a Bash that “knows” what I will say before even saying it (or scrolling with the up arrow).
Just the feeling of a “smart” Bash. It feels good! (this is psychological I know)

I am not talking about bash completion. I think what the OP might be referring to is fish-style completions.

I suspect you were using zsh or fish and not bash but you can get that in bash using something like blesh which is in AUR.

1 Like

OK, thanks.

i think its something like this:

1 Like

I know, and I am using it.

Honestly I don’t even know what are those (other than fish of course, my favorite meal especially grilled!)

Here is a demo of blesh: https://preview.redd.it/jctggs26cwu61.gif?format=mp4&s=bb162e3fec4169bd820d374d3f4ba3b2e6d7514a

You can install this:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/blesh

exactly… that’s it!

what distros did you use over the past year?

some of them ship with fish shell or zsh shell configured with autocompletion

Over the past year I was distrohopping like crazy. I tried almost every Linux (DEB, RPM, Arch, Slackware, Gentoo, BSD,… you name it maybe a few of each)

What I am sure of it was relatively recently, so it is either Artix, Manjaro or EOS. But,… mmm… in the menu may be it was called “Kommand”?
You are doing me a favor making me exercise my memory and brain!

You can just install blesh and add the one line it will recommend to your .bashrc.

yay -S blesh

So, it was there already in the ISO I downloaded a month ago! (no Alzheimer’s -yet)
I already installed what @dalto suggested

yay -S blesh

Now what should I add to ~/.bashrc ?