Baloo eating resources, won't stop, purge, or anything

There is an error here in your regular expression. This will also match the file named “foods.txt” :wink:

A dot in the regular expressions means any single character.

Luckily, fd has the -e (--extension) option, so what you want is this:

fd -t f -e ods -e odt
3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out!!!

1 Like

I hope I got it right this time. I also linked to the source of the code.

Okay, is the problem solved? If so, please mark the post that solved it as the solution. This way, if others have this problem they can find the fix easily.

I’m not sure. I guess it can be considered. I’m letting baloo run its course, eat the resources, and once it’s finished, I will go back and do everything posted here.

Let me know if you think it is and I will mark it closed. Sorry I didn’t know that was supposed to be done.

1 Like

No worries. I thought you had solved the issue. The first thing I do on a KDE Arch install is uninstall Discover. Then I nuke Baloo from orbit by uninstalling it. I have never had it work properly for me.

2 Likes

I’m liking nuking Baloo!

It seems the best is tamed, the round has stopped. Next, I’m going to tame the monster.

2 Likes

Good choice. Search still works just fine. Baloo, Discover, and the degree in pretzel logic that is required to understand the System Settings are my only complaints with Plasma. Luckily, the first 2 can be nuked and the last one is getting better with each release.

2 Likes

As simple as balooctl disable.

Thanks, good to know. I was wondering if it would nuke the system. I’m turning it off until KDE can perfect Baloo. Cheers!

Did but it was still running in the background. I think once it’s started for the first time, no amount of pause, disable works. Weird.

BTW, where do you mark the pst as solved? I can’t find it.

Click on the three dots at the bottom of the post and then click the box with a check mark in it.

1 Like

Doh, that’s simple enough!

Drats, I don’t see a check mark but a Solution one. I clicked on solution.

How do you know it’s still “running in the background”? What command do you use to check that? What does balooctl status show?

I never use discover, 1st thing I do after installing plasma is disable baloo. But I love system settings. :grin:

2 Likes

I use top. It shows it works even after disable, and suspend. Weird, no?

Blockquote

balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Indexing file content
Total files indexed: 604,483
Files waiting for content indexing: 101,420
Files failed to index: 0
Current size of index is 6.54 GiB

Blockquote

Now it shows as disabled.

Good to know. I learne d a lot here.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.