Backup Installation Method

Hi All, hopefully your week is going well.

I appreciate all the work and effort the devs have put into the EOS Calamari installation and with BTRFS setup. I’m not using any encryption. Just a regular BTRFS default setup and Timeshift for system backup.

I just had a thought that if EOS project halts or discontinues, how can I have have a same bare-bone BTRFS installation?

Is there an installation guide that offers the same BTRFS setup? I’ve looked through many guides but without trying, I wasn’t sure which one I could use.

I am also okay with another Arch distro that offers similar BTRFS setup without much bloat.

Just want to have a contingency plan.

You could always do an Arch “the-arch-way” install and create the subvolumes you need for root, home, etc.

2 Likes

Might want to have a look at this thread:

1 Like

“Manual” Arch (like pebcak wrote) with BTRFS subvolumes, Archinstall script or something like ALCI.
All do basic subvols for btrfs.

2 Likes

Barring unforeseen circumstances, that is unlikely in the near future.

I would recommend:

Arch and their install script

Archfi and their install script.

Garuda has what they call bare bones that is a very minimal basic install. With the caveat they don’t offer support for it as it’s absolutely not intended for anyone even close to a “beginner.”

I believe Arco has something similar where you can do a base minimal install.

I’m 99% sure all of those options (maybe not Arco) are available with btrfs.

Again, is unlikely you will see the current project halt any time soon. Although nothing is impossible.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Will look into these and play around with it in VM.