Backlight keys

Just to be clear, the + is not part of the key combination in the above screenshot.

It doesn’t it shows ctrl+`

Note the trailing backtick

It is Ctrl plus a backtick :slight_smile:

What does that mean?

If you zoom in, you will see ` is there (backtick) (Zoom is holding ALT and scrolling mouse)

There is another character after the + if you look carefully.

We have also been trying to show that in all our responses. Do you have some special glasses that hide that character? :laughing:

1 Like

Okay but I’m confused> So is it Ctrl+’ :crazy_face:

No, that is a single quote. He used a backtick. If you are using a us qwerty keyboard it is the character under the ~(tilde)

Yup - the CTRL key and the ` key - easy to find at the top and bottom corners of the keyboard…

But so the + sign is automatically added when you put the other character?

Yes, the plus sign indicates that you push the 2 keys together. Just like when we say press ctrl+alt+f3 to get a TTY

You got it - just telling you it’s a multi-key combo…

Oh okay…me dumb! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Not when the lights are on! (and the lights are always on now, w/that keyboard, right?)

1 Like

I thought it was Ctrl plus the + sign so that is what i was trying to set? But i guess it would give you Ctrl ++ then?

Yup - and it would work too…

I noticed the drop down Xfce4 terminal also put an icon in the task bar.

Screenshot_2020-05-31_10-48-36

Yeah I saw that too - a nice toggle switch for when the mouse is handier :grin: Now - if only I could size and place it better (still looking for the settings).

Edit: Here they are…

docs.xfce.org/apps/terminal/dropdown

So i like this because now i learned something else. I want to do the same as @nate and add sudo thunar and thunar and reboot etc. But i don’t know some of these things such as knowing what to put like:
1 --drop -down
2 --minimal
3 --menu

You can usually get the options (at least the most useful ones) a command (app) accepts by typing commandname --help.

For full reference man commandname

1 Like

If all else fails, write a script and call that! Seriously, though - why would want to sudo thunar? You can just ‘open folder as root’ when you get there and need root access - thunar is great at the stuff you can add for it to do. If you want a config file for giving you these extras, I pop it on my Google drive for you :grin: I find it much more useful than opening another one and having to navigate there all over again…