Automated mirror update

Today I wanted to configure both of my computers so mirrors are automatically updated daily. I used to achieve this by using reflector-auto. During my effort I found out that

reflector-auto

DEPRECATED! To be removed in the beginning of January 2021

So the route to take in future is editing /etc/xdg/reflector/reflector.conf and /usr/lib/systemd/system/reflector.timer according to ones needs. systemctl can then be used to start, stop, enable or disable the timer.
systemctl list-timers --all can be used to check if the timer is set correctly.
On my Netbook for example the output is :

NEXT                        LEFT                LAST                        PASSED             UNIT                         ACTIVATES                     
Sat 2020-12-19 00:00:00 CET 1h 39min left       Fri 2020-12-18 05:14:14 CET 17h ago            reflector.timer              reflector.service             

Not a big thing, but I thought it would be worth giving that hint.

2 Likes

That seems quite frequent for something which doesn’t change that regularly… :thinking:

1 Like

I know. But it doesn’t do any harm. Because I don’t know when things change, I think I’m on the safe side by updating it daily. It’s no effort for me and avoids problems if/when things change.
You don’t have to set it to daily updates. Default is weekly. It’s up to the user, how often he wants this to happen.

1 Like