Audio problem on my laptop

Hello,

I would like to report a problem with the audio.

When I connect my headphones to my laptop, the sound does not switch to them. I have to do it manually for it to work.

My kernel: 5.14.15-arch1-1
My hardware: Thinkpad X270 and wired pixel earbuds (USB C)

Best regards.

Post Scriptum:

Audio: Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: Google Pixel earbuds type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.14.15-arch1-1 running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes

These headphones appear to be a USB device which is why it won’t switch from your laptop speakers automatically - it would probably work that way if you had headphones with a traditional audio jack.

You can try setting the USB headphones as the “fallback” (or default) device using something like pavucontrol, then when the device becomes available output should switch automatically:

1 Like

Hello and thank you for your response.

I tried the solution you suggested, but it doesn’t seem to work. I still have to switch manually by clicking on the icon that you indicate with the second arrow.

I would like to point out that, with my previous distro, it switched automatically when I plugged in my earbuds. I wonder then if it wouldn’t miss a package to make this work.

Cheers

You could try switching to PipeWire; for me, this is more reliable than PulseAudio when working with multiple audio devices.

You might also do a little reading around, or at least find out what the differences were with your

/etc/pulse/default.pa:

# automatically switch to newly-connected devices
load-module module-switch-on-connect

could work for pulseaudio

1 Like

I think that might be enabled by default?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio#Switch_on_connect

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#ALSA_channels_mute_when_headphones_are_plugged/unplugged_improperly

1 Like

This command line was not in the file so I added it.
Works perfect now, thank you very much !! :partying_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.