Audacity's future is uncertain

It looks like they are reversing the telemetry https://github.com/audacity/audacity/discussions/889

2 Likes

Nice, will they reverse trust? :laughing:

Is there something to trust in an open source project? In the end we can all look at the code ourselves. I would rather say you should trust in the community around an open source project.

2 Likes

As long as you wish to check that code yourself on each update - thereā€™s nothing to trustā€¦
But you know, itā€™s good to know that maintainer is someone who havenā€™t missstepped in any way shape or form.

Personally - i hate shady stuff and avoid those who breach trust for whatever reason like a plague.

1 Like

It depends on the nature of the project. If the project is run by a company or a small group than, yes, I think trust is worthy of consideration.

If the project is truly managed by the community than it is a bit different. That being said, only a handful of the projects out there are like this.

1 Like

Relevant:

1 Like

Hereā€™s why you absolutely should drop Audacity in a heartbeat by any means and use FOSS Audacity (hmm, were does it go?) or some other fork, or just other program.

From 0 to spyware in 60 seconds!

That is insane.

P.S. See, told ya! :wink:

While I think the new privacy policy isnā€™t good, it looks to me like a poorly written legalese than anything else. All these sites calling audacity ā€œspywareā€ seems totally overblown.

That being said, it seems like the new owners of the product are poor stewards of it. The problem is that there doesnā€™t seem to be a viable fork by a reputable team yet.

Oh come on, who cares why?
Itā€™s not overblown at all, and itā€™s already 2nd time since new management, but this time is much more hardcore.
Itā€™s DOA.

1. Data necessary for law enforcement, litigation and authoritiesā€™ requests (if any)
  2. 13+ yo to use software
  3. Both violate GPL license and they can be technically sued i guess :laughing:

On fork iā€™m sure theyā€™ll figure it out eventually hereā€™s some

1 Like

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion, calling open source software ā€œspywareā€ due to changes in the privacy policy is overblown unless the software is actually changed to collect that data. Since it is open source, any change like that would be visible in the code.

I have used Audacity for many years and I will use it until thereā€™s a real good alternative. If thereā€™s at least one as easy to use multi-track audio editor as Audacity I would gladly move to use it.

The policy itself is absolutely atrocious and unacceptable for free software (and goes contrary to GPL), but Iā€™m not too worried about it because of this particular thing.

Itā€™s just like MuseScore.

Well i donā€™t know guysā€¦
Itā€™s philosophy of basic risks mitigation i guess.

If somebody comes to your door and says he want to kill you and steal your wife, would you be happy to open that door to make sure he actually have a gun? :laughing:

To me thatā€™s rhetorical question, but maybe people are actually that different :upside_down_face:

@mardi
Just follow that issue, iā€™m sure in some time somebody will come up with THE fork.

Well Iā€™m not opening the door blindly, thatā€™s for sure. But I agree itā€™s too early to call it spyware just yet (without finding any code in it that is actually spyware). But they are certainly preparing the ground for it and are not to be trusted.

3 Likes

Also, weā€™ll see what the Debian repo maintainers do about it ā€“ I think this is the easiest way to see whether something malicious gets sneaked into it. Unlike Arch TUs, Debian guys have extremely strict standards for inclusion in the repos.

1 Like

Well, weā€™ll see thenā€¦are they GNU style hardcore? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The funny thing is they could have just made an ā€œAudacity auto-updaterā€ as a completely separate component/software if they really wanted the feature that nobody asked for, to avoid, breaking the GPL2/3 license and that shady and vague T&C

P.S. Apart from fork, his fixes like arecord is top notch :rofl: Oh those youtubersā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

2 Likes

The problem with these new ā€œone-manā€ forks is how to you know that person is trustworthy? Also, who is monitoring the code at all?

I think it is better to a wait until a fork becomes widely used before switching.

Also, is it even legal to do that with the license? Can you fork someone elseā€™s project and change the license on it without permission? That seems strange to me. What is the point of licenses in that case?

1 Like