[ARM] F2FS root partition?

Is anyone using F2FS for the root partition on their ARM devices? I’ve been repairing & upgrading my Pinebook Pro recently. Now I’m starting to feel experimental.

Not on ARM here - but I casn’t see how it would matter - PROVIDED that /boot was separate and on something more usual! I’m on a standard desktop, and had to separate out /boot to make f2fs work correctly… :grin:

I was just wondering whether there were any gotchas for F2FS.

I haven’t tried it on desktop because the only potential issue mentioned on the Arch Wiki was that you might not be able to boot when the kernel version of the running machine is older than the one used to create the partition. So using linux-lts as a backup kernel might not work. On ARM, it’s not such as issue as you generally only have one kernel.

As I mentioned, I haven’t used f2fs anywhere but on a desktop or 2 - with separate /boot. I don’t know if it’s ‘confirmation bias’, but it seems slightly quicker than ext4… but probably isn’t much! the main idea is that it is supposed to be ‘lighter’ on the SSD type drives - leading to a longer life. Won’t know about that for YEARS!

The current LTS, BTW is fairly recent, so issues with it is less likely.

Hmm… Might give it a go. I’m currently using BTRFS on my desktop & EXT4 on my ARM laptop. I’m not really feeling BTRFS. It feels overly complicated, and generally just an epic faff. I’ve yet to need the redundancy provided by snapshots.

I Use btrfs a couple of places, and yet to make use of the timeshift goodies too. I tend to think of it as a ‘wannabe’ ZFS - and I use the real thing on my data drives… :grin: Good luck!

1 Like