Are custom Kernels better?

And unlike me you actuall installed it :wink:

Edit: If you notice a great difference let us know :slight_smile: I think I will ditch CK and stick with Zen, i have had great luck with it before and it is such a much cooler name than CK :wink:

1 Like

Of course :+1:

1 Like

Ok.
Slimmed down my install to Zen as default, normal Arch as backup. Uninstalled CK and LTS (I have not had to boot into LTS a single time since I installed if just after Xmas).

2 Likes
(5/5) Update grub after installing or removing a kernel or microcode.
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-zen.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-xanmod
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-xanmod.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-xanmod-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-hardened
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-hardened.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-hardened-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-fallback.img
done
1 Like

It might just be placebo, but it feels a bit quicker. It goes from GRUB to LightDM faster, at least, and it loads tilix a bit quicker. Tilix is noticeable (talking half a second here) slower to start than xfce4 terminal, at least for me, normally. Now it’s instant.

A lot of people say that these “third party” (tho might not truly apply to the Zen kernel since it is in the repos) have fared better than stock kernels when it comes to having to downgrade. We’ll maybe see if that is true in the future.

1 Like

Do you really? :slight_smile: I am going to try Gentoo soon (reading the handbook). Would you recommend going for the ‘official’ one or Calculate desktop?

As to Arch, I use Zen kernel now. Haven’t noticed the benefits to be honest and the information about it is rare…

No I don’t, I was being sarcastic. Imagine running Gentoo and compiling EVERY update like that… Doing it the old fashioned way before porthole etc.

Edit: As for information; it is in the default repos so:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel

and also:
https://liquorix.net/
(The maintainer of Liquorix kernel is also the maintainer of Zen, and they are virtually identical except the MuQSS Process Scheduler used in the Liquorix kernel.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I will most likely lose interest after installing it anyway.

1 Like

I have not noticed a difference with Zen, speaking of Xanmod, what is more I had to uninstall it because it interceded with the grub, it threw me for example: the file / etc / default / grub was no longer there, it gave me an empty file … and when I uninstalled everything returned to normal.

In today’s update (which is already in 5.7.1) it took exactly the same time to install it, 90 minutes, problem not being pre-compiled, it downloads everything it has, a question that already had too many megabytes downloaded from Xanmod kernel uselessly .

1 Like