Arch installation (The process)

i give root on X86 about 60 at the most 70 G … rest is home …

For example making a snapshot/backup of root or home only; reusing your home with a reinstall etc.

As for size, I’d go with at least 30 GB (better 40) for root. Or use subvolumes with btrfs and share the same space.

1 Like

if you have lean system then 40 will be enough but must dont …

yeah it’s funny. lol

I’m just so used to restoring from timeshift if anything isn’t exactly right. lol no defense.

That’s good to know about the home partition, thank you.

1 Like

I used to have a separate /home partition, but I don’t bother any more - there is no upside for me. In use, /home consists of config and dotfiles - all the data directories are soft linked to another drive to ease backup (and enable sharing of data with other distros in a multiboot when needed/useful). Come to think of it I used to split other thjings off into their own partitions (like /boot and /var) but now there is just a common UEFI and a root with all the rest…

1 Like

I usually keep home on a separate drive, but I like to have one partition per drive, which is the simplest partition scheme.

On my laptop, which only has one drive, I don’t have a separate home partition, everything is on one partition (except a tiny EFI partition).

As I learn more I start to see more of the picture. When I first started with Arch I didn’t know or care about anything except succeeding in installing a working system. I read somewhere someone saying they just make 3 partitions, boot, root and swap and I thought if that does the job then thats fine.

I suppose there’s ups and downs to everything. I won’t ever be wanting to copy my home to a new OS. I’d just copy it from my backup.I don’t think it would really make a difference to me.

I just scrolled back up and saw your question @axt. No the wiki guide is not enough unless you already know how to do it. Maybe it is enough for you but it definitely wasn’t enough for me before. I suppose now it is enough for me but that is because I already know how to do it. I already know all of the commands and I don’t need any explanation to get a working system going. Did you ever try using the Arch wiki guide to install Arch linux when you had next to no knowledge about Linux?

Then again maybe for you the wiki is perfect, people are different, learn differently and understand things differently.

I only have root “/” partition. Nothing else. Home, Boot all fall under root. As far as backup, Home is easy to replicate. I use fsarchiver for system.
Been doing it that way for years. I also create my own grub.cfg file. Don’t mess with those grub scripts.

haha well over my head.

Part of the beauty of Linux is there are many ways to do one thing. In the beginning just getting something done any which way is the priority though. For now I’ll just stick with any which way I can get something done. In the future when I know more I’ll pick according to what I see as best for me.

And from Arch Linux perspective - what they expect when you ask anything in the Arch BBS - that is the entire purpose - that you get to know the what and most importantly the why.

2 Likes

Kudos to muj for sharing and taking the time to write up that Arch install process.

Thank you EndeavourOS for sparing me that time-consuming way to an Arch-based install.

(I enjoy hamburgers and a trip to a fast food restaurant saves me quite a bit of time and labor. :yum: Plus I can get french fries.)

1 Like

Cheers @garybean. I know the majority of stuff I may post at the moment is already known by most users on this forum but you never know, it may be helpful to someone new joining the forum.

1 Like

I’d recommend the restaurant I’m working at instead. Better meat and made from scratch. It would set you back a whopping 19 dollars though. :wink:

Beverage not included.

1 Like

I will say most of the places like that I actually dislike the burgers from. Too much beef. I actually like the little burgers from places, just several of them. I think they cook up better and have a much better flavor than the large 1/3 or 1/2 pound patties, even better IMO than the 1/4 lb. patties.