App for automatic updates and installation?

What are the chances of getting an app that will run in the background and automaticallly update, clean, and reboot the system if necessary? I usually update my system about 4 times a day everyday. An app like this would make updating effortless and allow other activities to continue. An occasional popup notification would tell you what is going on to remind you not to prematurely shut down your system while this is progress. . . Just wondering?

Rich :wink:

You could write a script that did that pretty easily.

That being said, you shouldn’t.

Sometimes, updates require manual intervention. It is easy to break your system by applying updates in an automated fashion.

5 Likes

So, implement one of the most hated Windows features? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Pretty slim.

1 Like

Why not more often?

1 Like

best windows feature

1 Like

All sarcasm aside, I’ve been using Linux for 28 years. . . .change is not bad. Redundant tasks are. I can wait for a week and download 2 gig’s worth of updates and hopefully I won’t need to fix anything when it comes to corrupted files or bad gpg signatures. I don’t mind fixing this or learning from experience but sometimes the pain of doing this surpasses the pleasure of doing it all over again and again. I’m not a Windows fan either. People need to get off their ‘high’ horses and see the bigger picture of where Linux is heading. Is it for the hobbyist programmer or is it in competition with Corporate Software giants that want to take away the usefulness of the computer from underlings such as myself and others who want the ‘freedom’ to use their machines for whatever their intended purposes are and use software that don’t cost an arm or a leg? My question was legitimate. . . and some of the replies seem to be coming from people who think trolling is in their best interest. I beg to differ.

Rich ;

I have nothing against automated tasks. However, this is not a task which is safe to automate on an Arch-based distro. There are plenty of other Linux distros where it is much safer to automate updates. There are simply too many times when some degree of manual intervention is needed. However, if you want to write a script that does this and schedule it to run, there is nothing to stop you from doing so.

I don’t think people are trolling you. People here like to engage and have fun. I don’t think any of the above was intended as an attack.

6 Likes

Dalto, appreciate the reply. . . . thanks for your assistance.

2 Likes

“Linux” is neither of those things. Different Linux distributions have different aims and target audiences.

If someone wants a consumer/corporate-focussed alternative to MS Windows then there is Red Hat, SUSE, or Ubuntu. If they want a cutting-edge distro that promotes user control and understanding of the underlying operating system then there is Arch, Gentoo, and LFS.

EndeavourOS is much more on the Arch side of that spectrum (like all Arch derivatives). MX Linux and Zorin are towards the Ubuntu side.

Rather than try to make a distribution into something else, use a distribution that already does what is needed. That’s the point of a Linux distribution - to distribute software that meets a particular purpose or use-case.

7 Likes