Anyone try Linux 6.8.1 in stable release

Anyone try Linux 6.8.1 in stable released.
Just trying it out now.

:man_shrugging: I’ll wait a while.

1 Like

Have it up and running on Systemd-boot and grub on another computer, so far so good. Yet to notice any difference.

1 Like
$ uname -r
6.8.1-zen1-1-zen

Fine on my end so far. Grub and Btrfs.

2 Likes

Just installed and in the process of testing it out. I had issues with wireless not connecting after resume from suspend on 6.7, I’m curious if it works better with 6.8.

Just updated now. Rebooted and all is well. Btrfs and Systemd-boot, though.

[wombat64@endeavour ~]$ uname -r
6.8.1-arch1-1
1 Like

Updated this morning, everything seems solid. Btrfs with systemd-boot.

❯ uname -r
6.8.1-zen1-1-zen
1 Like

Updated this morning. Booted normally with ext4 and systemd-dracut. Works as usual so far

➜  uname -r                                
6.8.1-zen1-1-zen

Updated also this morning. All good with btrfs ans systemd-boot, dracut.

Sun Mar 17 - 10:33 - pierre-latitude7520 ~] uname -r
6.8.1-arch1-1

Not an official kernel :

uname -r              
6.8.1-273-tkg-bore

but I’m still gaining 4-5s on boot and startup of apps such as libreoffice or Gimp are still a bit faster.

6.8.1 has no issue in VM or maybe I’m blind if new bugs hidden in it.

However, after the minor change, I would wait for kernel version Y.X.Z | Z > 2 before manually checking certain critical diff source that my system uses.

Just trying to clarify the context here. When you say “gaining” 4-5s does it mean it takes 4 to 5 seconds longer to boot? Or do you actually mean the opposite?

done, nothing weird spotted so far

Everything :peach: y here :computer:

1 Like

It’s a gain in the sense I have a reduced boot time of 4-5s compared to other kernels. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. Yeah. That was my interpretation as well. Just wanted to make sure.

No problems here either. I agree with @vazicebon there seems to be at least a 4-6 second increase in faster boot time. Even with LUKS encryption, it’s noticably faster.

Loving it----except for one issue that is a show-stopper…I think that “almost” everyone here knows that I’ve been waiting for 6.8 to preview the Intel Xe video driver…now I’m waiting for the Mesa 24.1 update to “really” use the Xe driver…

I also do BOINC & it got TOTALLY borked with the availability of “2” Intel drivers…to the point of not seeing any Intel Video GPUs with 2 drivers available…This is a real problem for me…I tried blacklisting the “xe” driver to see if BOINC would work…no dice. So, I’ve reverted to using the LTS kernel while I crunch BOINC & rebooting into 6.8.1 when I want to test the Xe driver…not fun…but “shrug” the way for the time being…

So, I’m looking into ways to make these 2 priorities work together…but it looks like merely doing a blacklist of the Xe driver will not work. I’ve bug-reported this to BOINC development & I am actively looking for ways to make this work…thoughts about other ways to turn the module on/off would be very interesting to me…

From Kernel 6.7.9

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A750] (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A750]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 250
	Memory at 82000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at 4000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8G]
	Expansion ROM at 83000000 [disabled] [size=2M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915

From Kernel 6.8.1

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A750] (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation DG2 [Arc A750]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 250
	Memory at 82000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at 4000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=8G]
	Expansion ROM at 83000000 [disabled] [size=2M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915, xe

Note the addition of the "xe" driver available in the module line.

I wonder if

modprobe M # loading module M
modprobe -r M # unloading module M

could work on the running kernel.

Looks like xe is not in use?
Can you blacklist i915?