Any Developer/Programmer using EOS? Share your thoughts please

Hello everyone. So I’ve been using the infamous “Purple” point-release distro and I notice that my system slowed down compared to my previous distro I’ve been using which is the “Volcano from Africa” distro. So then, I decide to go back to use Rolling Release distro and I’m interest on Endeavour OS.

And I have this spare potato laptop (i3 gen 3, 4gb) which I’ve been using as my daily driver at the office. I’ve mostly run on Web and Mobile Development (I know, my laptop are screaming for help).

I intend to install Endeavour OS with i3wm. Is it ok for my Dev station? I don’t want to fix a problem that could hinder my works. I’m afraid cause EOS use Arch repository directly.

Please share your thoughts guys. Thanks in advance!

No need for fear - Arch is more stable than most, and provides the most current stuff too. A little common sense is recommended though - save your updates for the weekend (or longer if still working on the weekend - a month is livable) - that way IF something comes up, you have time to get it fixed, or reverted, before needing the machine again.

An interesting note, in the last year and a half, had a problem that persisted more than a couple of hours only once, and maybe 3 others at all… mostly the fixes were known before I had the problem!

However, I am all AMD ( 3 - machines on the go) - so check with others on similar hardware to yours to be more sure.

5 Likes

welcome here!

I also use eos i3 at work, my strategy is to do about one update per week on Fridays, and I generally backup my work folder just in case something goes wrong. It is very rare, most problems I had were related to nvidia graphics drivers, but its the same problem with other distros. I find EOS more stable than ubuntu in my day to day work, generally less crashes. Lucky me!

And this is the best community, willing to help and fast!

edit: no crashes yet on eos to clarify…

2 Likes

Yes, it is okay for your “Dev station”, but is it okay for you? Have you used i3wm before? If so, then know what to expect and you’ll be at home. If not, switching to a TWM from a traditional DE requires some adjustment. It’s not difficult by any means, but expect your productivity to be low for a few days, until you get used to it.

This is very important, and it is really unpleasant to realise that only when it is too late (speaking from experience). Keep multiple backups (preferably on external drives) of all data that you can’t afford to lose.

2 Likes

Ah, heard that directly from my friend, more stable than most distro. But ok, I’ll try install one.

Only update on weekend seems a good idea.

Don’t worry, I know how to use i3wm, bspwm, or anything. Use that a lot on my previous distro.

Hi, thans for the greeting. Really? Can’t believe you use i3 and Rolling Release for the work. I might try install one.

Btw, that’s a good idea, only update on weekend.

I’m using Arch-based distros for development for more than three years now. I’m more into traditional DE’s like XFCE. I’m mostly doing web-development, so my use case is slightly different to yours. I’ve disabled my nvidia card in BIOS so the whole system got much more simple to maintain and use. The only thing you should watch out for is programming environment updates. I’m not really sure what that means for your use case, but I’ll give you an example from mine:
Let’s say you start creating a website in PHP. The PHP version on your system is 7.4. Along comes a PHP update and suddenly you are on version 8.0. This brings a lot of new features and can break legacy PHP code. It is a pain to keep the PHP version fixed (add to pkg ignore), because a lot of dependencies (like PHP modules) need also to be held back. So you have to resort to AUR and install php74 instead of php. That will keep your version locked, but you’ll have to do your own research as to what this means for your programming environment.

Regarding your side comment, if you earn cash out of development, investing in a capable machine will increase your productivity and thus your money making ability. In my opinion it is the most justified reason for upgrade. Tons of cores and tons of RAM would benefit mobile dev a lot. A cheap gamer laptop can do wonders for development.

3 Likes

For webdev I would seriously consider something like Vagrant, then you can script the setup of project specific virtual dev server(s) with precision.

1 Like

I think i like the simplicity of running directly on bare metal (I prefer this when it is an option) and using the ampp stack directly installed on the machine because it removes a few layers of complexity from the debugging process. Also i’m kinda stuck in my ways as I boarded the php train around 2003. Back then XAMPP was the thing.

It might look like I was complaining, but I was just stating that solutions might need to be found for the rolling nature of Arch-based and the speciffics of the dev’s programming environment. I got my stuff well sorted out, also I made some scripts to automate my processes that rely on my current setup.

1 Like

@nate has given you some good advice. I do PHP dev on my laptop running EOS, but I am running PHP $latest_version in order to winkle out any issues in my application before those on stable trip over them. I also look after some legacy websites. And am currently mangling Drupal6 _LTS to work with PHP 8! :laughing:
If you are interested in working with nGinx, this may help: Local LEMP development [Tutorial]

1 Like