And that's how I found out my house electrical wiring is garbage

Don’t you hate it when your computer is going through an update and it gets cut off and your operating system gets corrupt and you lose everything? Because I do.

And why did that happen, you may ask? I’ll tell you! The smart Einstein who wired my house thought it was a great idea to wire the half of the entire house’s outlets, one of which my desktop is plugged in, fans, a dishwasher connection, and an over-the-range microwave, all on a single 15 amp breaker. While the dishwasher (which we bought yesterday) was washing the dishes my father ran the microwave and poof, bad day. Can’t Timeshift my way out of that one.

12 Likes

Sounds like it is time for a UPS.

15 Likes

Sounds like it is time for an electrician.

11 Likes

Similar story, at work, we were supposed to have 3 20-amp circuits in our MDF. They mislabeled them so EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF IT EQUIPMENT was using a single 20-amp circuit. Lasted close to 4 months before it died (electrician did the math after we got it properly labeled, it was about 36 amps of draw).

2 Likes

My friend, I had the same problem with my little freezer.
Every time the little freezer engine starts to run, my room blinks… :grinning:

3 Likes

So i take it you don’t have ring mains like here in the UK .

Essential if you are using a desktop or any critical piece of equipment best protection i ever bought.

2 Likes

Better than being part way through a BIOS upgrade and bricking your desktop.

Up arrow emoji.

ESSENTIAL kit. Wouldn’t run any desktop system without one.

Connect it (or different one) to your modem also, most power outages are brief, you can continue like nothing happened. 30 mins battery life is more than enough. A more prolonged outage and you can gracefully finish up and shutdown.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that :frowning_face:

:man_facepalming:

That’s why it’s good to know at least basics of electricity…

Sounds it’s good time for both :sweat_smile:

btw, any recommendations on good UPS model?

3 Likes

I like these https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/pfc-sinewave/

Their sine wave products are generally both cheaper and more reliable than APC consumer units.

If you want to buy APC, you need to get one of their business grade units to get quality but they are expensive. Their consumer stuff is super questionable. The failure rates are terrible. The lowest I would go is the smart-ups line.

4 Likes

Sounds to me to make a big upgrade :wink: every room a ethernet connection also is awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Eaton has not failed me yet, not the best, not the worst, reasonably priced … but the consumer models are only meant for use with computers.

Don’t go plugging them into your fridge or hot water heater.

1 Like

Or home nuclear-reactor :joy:

I have Eaton too, but it’s only for network devices such as a firewall pfsense, Synology NAS and a RPI… My desktop is still suffering connected directly to the wall.

What is nice about Eaton is that it works flawless with NUT package, full compatibility.

1 Like

How else are you supposed to keep the batteries charged? :rofl:

1 Like

To be fair, once you get the nuclear reactor running, it SHOULD be able to be self-powered if it were designed correctly. Of course, the power feedback might fry the UPS…

1 Like

mayby making a battery can help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like scraps of what’s left out of memories about an ancient :alien: technology :laughing:
I bet 4000 years ago they had some real deal!

2 Likes

I’m definitely gonna need to pick up one of them. Better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah, whoever did that likely isn’t a licensed electrician, I went to school for that, and that’d never fly. Right off the bat, kitchen and dining room are supposed to be on 20 amp services with a recommended minimum of 2 circuits, and the rest of the house should be 15 amp circuits with a maximum of 10 devices (lights and outlets) on each circuit.

The kitchen for one should be it’s own circuit. What a clown of a sparky…

1 Like