AMDGPU support for Radeon HD 6370D

@adamis
Have you looked through sudo dmesg to see what it may show?

Here are some pictures of DMESG, Xorg Logs and my xorg.conf config file.

Note… from what I can tell, the radeon module is being loaded at boot but Xorg is complaining that there are no displays to connect to. Not sure if that is progress from where I started initially or not.

In my xorg.conf file, under the “Device” section I did uncomment all of the “Options”. Perhaps I should recomment them all and just do one by one. I just wanted to get these pics uploaded in case I was missing something I don’t see.

PXL_20210507_171557066
PXL_20210507_171820454
PXL_20210507_171915274
PXL_20210507_171925119.MP

Re-reading the Xorg log, it is complaining it can’t load the “radeon” module. Unless I’m misunderstanding what the DMESG output is saying, it appears like the radeon is loading at boot but perhaps not?

I’m having some difficulty seeing some of the info on the screen but i do see that it is not loading the drivers. Did you add radeon to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

Edit: Add

MODULES=“radeon”

Then run mkinitcpio -P

Yes, I have done that. Still getting No screens found in my xorg log.

Did you create any xorg files?

Edit: In /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf there should be two files 10-radeon.conf and 10-amdgpu.conf as far as i know.

Unfortunately i just can’t read the pictures you posted as they don’t size up.

Edit: Also what is the hardware and what desktop did you install?

There is an amdgpu.conf in that folder but not a radeon.conf. I had used the instructions at

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#Using_xorg.conf

To create a xorg.conf file and copied it to /etc/X11. That is the xorg.conf that I provided in the earlier screenshots.

Reposting the screenshots in a larger size, hopefully that helps you to be able to read them.

PXL_20210507_171557066
PXL_20210507_171820454
PXL_20210507_171915274
PXL_20210507_171925119.MP

What is the name of the file in/user/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

There should be these i think.

10-radeon.conf

The file has the following

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "Radeon"
	MatchDriver "radeon"
	Driver "radeon"
EndSection

It also has 10-amdpu.conf

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "AMDgpu"
	MatchDriver "amdgpu"
	Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection

I would try it with these and without the xorg you created.

Edit: Corrected a typo. Should have been /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

using /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not recommended for a long time… most options are loaded per default and settings should be under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf with only the settings you want add in addition! also monitor/display settings will not be needed in most cases

Mine is from a fresh install of Xfce with that card that is coming up as a 7450 HD.

Okay, a little progress. Mostly my stupidity… In my troubleshooting of trying to use the amdgpu driver I had uninstalled the ATI driver. When I went back to trying to use the ATI driver, didn’t realize I had uninstalled the module. Got it installed. Now I’m back to getting the white screen corruption as in the picture I posted earlier. I was able to get this message from the journal:

PXL_20210507_205255418

Okay did you remove the xorg file you created and did you add a the ones i gave you that should be automatically created.

So on the xorg.conf file, once I installed the ATI driver, I was able to recreate the xorg file that has the proper module loading now. It still results in the same issue. Deleting the file doesn’t make a difference. I do have the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-radeon.conf file as well now.

I don’t think it needs the xorg file. Did you still leave the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file to include MODULES=“radeon”

Is this in a desktop computer? Would be nice to have the hardware info. inxi -Fxxxz --no-host
Probably need inxi installed first

Edit: As @joekamprad says it’s not updated
sudo pacman -Syu

system is not up to date i see you are still on Linux 5.11.16

Did a full update but that didn’t change anything. Here is the hardware info. It is an HP Pavillion Desktop.

PXL_20210507_213930236

Did you reboot after? Graphics drivers are loading properly by the looks of it. I would remove the xorg file that you say doesn’t make any difference that you created and then run sudo mkinitcpio -P and reboot. Also what is the Monitor and how is it hooked up?

Thanks for being persistent and sorry this one has been so difficult. Yes, I did reboot after the upgrade. Yes, the other xorg.conf file has been removed. Same issue. It is a Dell 24" monitor attached via VGA cable.

From one of my earlier screenshots, I think the error that is causing all of this is is:

[drm:r600_ib_test [radeon]] ERROR radeon:fence wait timed out
[drm:radeon_ib_ring_tests [radeon] ERROR radeon: failed testing IB on GFX ring (-100)

I’ve searched on these error messages multiple ways but was not able to find anything conclusive on how to resolve.

AMD GPU should work out of the box without such issues, not common to see such issue :wink:

You do try to use early boot of the module already or not ? (you do not answear on that)
/etc/mkinitxpio.conf “radeon” under modules and regenerate kernel images sudo mkinutcpio -P and reboot to take effect