AMD Newbie: What do I need to have installed properly?

What does your hardware show?

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

Also did you go back and check the settings in UEFI bios to make sure it is set for dedicated graphics only?

I’ve checked and it is only using dedicated GPU. Had to switch to gnome wayland to get the cursor back since I undid the archwiki cursor fix and everything is flickering like nuts, from icons to this site, to just things in the Desktop Envirornment UI like the topbar.

https://0x0.st/o5Ny.txt

Where did this come up? I see you are using Gnome which I’m not that familiar with it’s inner workings.

Edit: Is this in the About Panel for Gnome in settings? Does it still show that?

@TheDarkWizard

You could always try another deskstop and see if the issues still exist if you don’t get it working right under Gnome. The 6.1 kernel is also around the corner. The 7900XT is pretty new. I see you have the latest Bios which is good.

Yes, currently using Gnome and that is indeed the gnome About panel.

1 Like

Do you have a image of it showing what it reports?

Yes this:

Though the PC is now in an unbootable state.

As i said before it seems like its not rendering on the card but using only mesa to render. Not sure why? It could be the same issue where it’s not switch over to the dedicated graphics. You could try hooking up the HDMI only directly to the motherboard and boot on that on just the single monitor. But go into the bios and set integrated graphics. See what happens and then try switching back to the dedicated graphics and hooked back up to the Graphics card itself. There have been some issues I’ve seen where the graphics isn’t enabled on boot so maybe try this?

Edit: It’s a pretty new chipset and graphics card plus cpu so it’s hard to say.

Might have to try that as soon as I figure out why I can’t boot any iso.

Here’s a picture of what happens when I try to boot from the latest EOS iso that just came out today.

A fresh arch iso does the same thing and so does Fedora.

The iso booted up with just one monitor connected to the motherboard.

What i would do is use the latest ISO and install from that. Are you set on Gnome as the desktop you want to use?

So does this mean connected with HDMI to the motherboard?

Yes, latest iso gives that error.

HDMI to motherboard yes. I’ve been using Gnome for the last 2 years but I can learn KDE or skmething.

This is the other post that i was on having similar issue to your’s.

I found this on reddit so there must be some issue with mesa or other?

Is it not able to boot anymore to the desktop?

@TheDarkWizard
I think you need the latest firmware for that card.

It’s in the testing repo so if it were me i would try that. There is also the latest 6.1 kernel and headers and also mesa.

linux-firmware-20221214.f3c283e-1

Edit: Have a look at this.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=282114

Edit: Really hope this helps get you up and running.

I’m already using that firmware, but even with the BBS thread and everything else, I have not been able to make it work correctly. I did momentarily boot into Windows like that person did to confirm that the card is actually not damaged.

I’ll stay on Windows for a few weeks much to sadness and then immediately come back. This is my first time ever getting a GPU on launch and a GPU that isn’t nvidia, so I wasn’t expecting it to be this uphill. The firmware, the right mesa drivers, seems correct thanks to you @ricklinux and everyone else who has helped but after 10 hours today, I think I’ll just take a break for at-least today.

Did you also install the 6.1 kernel? There are a couple others here that have the 7900 XTX with similar issues.

Edit: https://www.phoronix.com/review/rx7900xt-rx7900xtx-linux