AMD APU driver query

Hello, I have a couple of question regarding using the correct driver for AMD APU. I have AMD A10 7850k which has Radeon R7 260 integrated. That’s a GCN ver. 2 architect if I am correct. From the reading I did, looks like radeon and amdgpu both are installed. Radeon is the kernel driver.
My question is, is it possible to load amdgpu and if it’s worth it compared to radeon driver. I have noticed a high cpu usage for just playing youtube/twitch videos in browsers at 1080p. I don’t think that was the case in my manjaro install.

This is my config -
inxi -Ga

  Device-1: AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] vendor: Gigabyte driver: radeon
    v: kernel alternate: amdgpu bus-ID: 00:01.0 chip-ID: 1002:130f
    class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org compositor: budgie-wm driver:
    loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa
    display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x286mm (20.0x11.3")
    s-diag: 583mm (23")
  Monitor-1: DVI-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102
    size: 477x268mm (18.8x10.6") diag: 547mm (21.5")
  Monitor-2: HDMI-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 30
    size: 1600x900mm (63.0x35.4") diag: 1836mm (72.3")
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0 5.16.8-zen1-1-zen LLVM 13.0.0)
    v: 4.5 Mesa 21.3.5 direct render: Yes

lspci -k

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device d000
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

Does everything work fine?

Game and videos in mpv are working fine. Its the videos in browsers that are using CPU heavily.

You should be able to use amdgpu instead of radeon.

Have a look here:
(Kaveri / Bonair is from the Sea Island family…)

You’ll have to enable some browser settings / tweaks to get there + your GPU needs to support decoding the appropriate video codec.

More to that here:

There are links to the sections for firefox and chromium…

I didn’t have libva-mesa-driver and libva-utils installed. After installing that, vaapi is working and I saw significant improvement with CPU usage in firefox. Thanks so much. I was assuming that I needed either vaapi or vdpau configured. The chart showed that video acceleration is only available through vaapi in firefox.