Am I the only one who finds Hugo confusing?

Maybe you have heard of Hugo? It is a website builder that is purported to be simple and fast. No html and content is in markdown files. You can host your site for free on github or other versioning open repository.

It is simple enough to get a site up and running but I am finding the content (in the content) folder to be scattered and piecemeal with _index files all over the place. Most of the people I know are like me in figuring out these things: you clone another site or Hugo theme and then look to see how they put in the content and then change it. The problem is that what appears on one page on the final site seems to be scattered around in the directory structure. grep -r is my best friend but I still find it less than intuitive and often difficult to change simple elements. How a site delivers content also seems to be theme dependent.

Anyone else finding this? Anyone have advice. I am thinking that starting from a content-less site and building up may be easier than deconstructing or modifying an established site.

1 Like

I myself find anything that’s not written by myself confusing :laughing:

5 Likes

You are not wrong. Sometimes one is just best to work up their own code from scratch. Often it is difficult to understand what and why someone did something in one way without doing it yourself first.

1 Like

I think that this person should /could help you, or give some directions or insights.

His website runs on Hugo and he has a video specifically on Hugo.

1 Like

Yes, I built a very simple site on Hugo and found it difficult at times. It was, however, the first site I’ve ever built, so take that with a grain of salt. I need to build another one soon and I’m thinking of just using jekyll next time around, which is supposed to be simpler.

2 Likes

To me it’s exactly the opposite. I think my own code is the most confusing. :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks, I am going to give jekyll a try seems a lot simpler than mr hugo/hyde

I’m also with you, after seeing Derek Taylor’s video (Distrotube) I gave it a try and I found it so confusing I gave it up. There were quite a few times my keyboard keys had to suffer my frustrated typing force… :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :wink: using it.

2 Likes